What animals have you seen on your rides?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
On today's ride through Salcey forest.

10534773_web1_180209-iss-leg-bigfoot-t.jpg

freiston

Veteran
All that luggage for an overnighter?

You clearly like your comforts!

I keep trying to do this lightweight malarkey but I'm no good at it. In my defence, I did spend two nights at the campsite and I did take pots, pans & utensils for "proper" cooking (even though I only cooked porridge and made coffee). I did weigh my bags - 28kg in total :blush:

Edit: My tent is advertised at 3.02 kg but with extra groundsheet, pegs etc., comes in at 3.79kg.

Last edited:

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Pretty sure I saw a white-tailed eagle today just SW of Alderbury near Salisbury! We were cycling and I saw an enormous bird flying low across a field. My first thought was that it was an eagle but clearly that was very unlikely in Wiltshire! Then I thoughte it must be a red kite but the tail was wrong and I noticed it was white.

This evening I had the chance to do some research and kept coming up with a white tailed eagle. Again I assumed this was impossible in Wiltshire but then I found out about a White Tailed eagle who does indeed live on the Hampshire Wiltshire border! I’m pretty confident I saw it today! What a privilege!

otherself

Fully lugged in.
I saw a Hoopoe once while cycling in Norfolk. Very rare in the UK. They only breed in Spain, Portugal and southern to central France. they just occasionally overshoot their breeding grounds and a 100 or so end up in the UK (usually the south coast), especially during a warm early spring.

(not my photo)
Fotolia_160919141_Subscription_L-1024x683.jpg

I've also seen badgers, owls, foxes, eagles, hawks.... usually on early morning rides.

I also swear i saw a huge cat once (like a puma?) in the late summer evening of 1997, around dusk 9:45pm. There were sightings in the area of the time (Leicestershire). It was near Frisby on the Wreake, near Melton Mowbray. Scared the shoot outta me but was a good 200 meters away in a field.

http://www.bigcats.org.uk/panthermap.html

Last edited:

ExBrit

Über Member
Just for a bit of fun, as per title.
I've often seen buzzards overhead, and more dramatically coming close (well it seems close!) when they take off from tree branches as I go past. Recently though, I've seen more red Kites than buzzards. I saw 2 muntjack deer in an adjacent field a couple of weeks ago, and a hare.
Last week (I confess we were in the car, not on bikes), we saw a black squirrel beside the A421 near Roxton - prior to that we only knew of grey or red squirrels (never seen a red)

I have seen mountain lions and a couple of bears. The bears hear me and run away making a lot of noise which is the only reason I know they are there. Mountain lions just stand and watch, probably wondering if I'm worth attacking. No tigers though.

The coolest thing I ever saw were two peccaries by the side of the road with really interesting stripes and spots on their coats.

C R

Guru
I saw a Hoopoe once while cycling in Norfolk. Very rare in the UK. They only breed in Spain, Portugal and southern to central France. they just occasionally overshoot their breeding grounds and a 100 or so end up in the UK (usually the south coast), especially during a warm early spring.

(not my photo)
View attachment 688583

I've also seen badgers, owls, foxes, eagles, hawks.... usually on early morning rides.

I also swear i saw a huge cat once (like a puma?) in the late summer evening of 1997, around dusk 9:45pm. There were sightings in the area of the time (Leicestershire). It was near Frisby on the Wreake, near Melton Mowbray. Scared the shoot outta me but was a good 200 meters away in a field.

Ooh, I haven't seen a hoopoe since I was a teenager. They used to nest every spring in a hole in the wall of our old farmhouse in Galicia. One spring they just didn't show up, and never came back again. 😒

DogmaStu

A small group of us rescued an eagle in Portugal a couple of years ago when we were mountain biking. It had damaged a wing so we took it to the nearest vet.

I've seen plenty of snakes over the years on hot tarmac. Rabbits etc on trails too.

Doing MTB in Marloth Park, which is a small residential area South of Kruger National Park in South Africa where some of the main park's less dangerous residents lived meant I would see giraffe, various buck, zebra etc every ride on the same trails as I was on. We had giraffe greet us on the balcony of our house there and zebra enter the kitchen looking for food.

Miss those rides!

OP
OP
F

Fastpedaller

(not my photo)
View attachment 688583

I live in Norfolk....... A hoopoe (with a blurry photo in local newspaper) was reported recently.

Top Bottom