What animals have you seen on your rides?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tiggy

Llamas, camels, ostriches...

In the UK there should be signs around fields containing exotic animals so you're not suddenly freaked out.

Jon in Sweden

A couple of adders today. Sadly, I ran over the little one. It was only the size of a pencil and I saw it too late on the gravel.

I tried to redeem myself by chasing the larger one (about 60cm) off the road.

4jsDs1qDkc2JC49v5PExo8AXVkcnwR1mRLGDZP3o-1152x2048.jpg

Jon in Sweden

I was coming back from work in the twilight last night (23:15) and saw an animal by the roadside, illuminated by the headlights of an oncoming car. I couldn't make out what it was.

As I got closer, I could see it was an enormous owl sat on top of a hare. It didn't take off until I was literally 8ft from it. The only thing it could be is a Eurasian Eagle Owl. It was enormous, and it was definitely an owl (not golden eagle, which we have here too and I've also seen) as I was so close to it I could almost touch it.

Quite extraordinary to see. In recent months on my bike I've seen most of the larger or rarer birds of prey: white tailed eagle, golden eagle, red kites, osprey, eagle owl, peregrine. Superb :becool:

I've saw most of the animals in this thread (apart from the mountain goat 😉 and I've only seen dead badgers 😢) but the most impressive I think I've saw was on a gravel ride when I spotted a huge black stag in the woods and he charged towards the trail I was on; jumping over it just yards in front of my face.

In the last few weeks I've been hit by a Buzzard, had a squirrel run between my wheels and the wheels of my pal next to me, and had to shoo a baby stoat off the road. Oh and a hare. Oh and a seagull pooed on me.

It's getting a bit mad out there tbh.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Quite the tale today.

Cycling home from work on the bike path which is an old railway line. A cyclist passed me and a few moments later I saw a tiny baby rabbit writhing on the path, clearly newly hit. I hopped off and realised he had a broken leg and looked pretty awful. What could I do? I couldn't leave him. So I picked him up and nestled him into me and then walked the mile or so into town to the nearest vet's, wheeling my bike in my left hand, snuggling a dying rabbit in my right and praying the vets were open.

They were open, and they were lovely. They offered to take him from me so I could go home but I feel very strongly that no-one should die alone, so I sat and held him for half an hour. He fell asleep in my hands. Eventually, the vet saw us, she was so kind, and she did the only thing we could do for him. I had a little cry and cycled home!!

It was a real honour to look after that tiny little thing and to try to make his final moments as warm and safe as I could.

Top Bottom