What are good & bad brands?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

02GF74

Über Member
good makes? saracen (back in the olden days), trek, specialized, bianchi, gary fisher, proflex are all good and I have owned or own an example from them.

recently my friend boughat a mongoos otero for 1/2 price and that loos like a good value bike. nicely made aluminium full sus frame, hydraulic disc brakes, decent shimano components; only thing I don;t like is the chainset.

like this one: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MONGOOSE-OTER...14&_trkparms=72:1683|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

33c1_1.JPG

Warren

@ tundragumski
Thanks for your reply, i looked at the bikes you suggested but the bike ive chosen has more things as i said in my first post that it has full susspension and hydraulic disc brakes.
Well what i think ill do is keep it and ride it around for awhile and if really dont like it ill sell it, or upgrade parts im not happy with. But im sure it will be fine as its a major upgrade from my first bike (Avalanch Tundra 18 speed) wich i bought years ago.
Just out of interest what is it you dont like about the one i chose?

Waren,

Too late to respond to your earlier post – I only registered on this site today… I’d go for a Kona.

I have owned two and simply love the frame geometry. Presently I cycle a 1999 Caldera – excellent machine that has survived ten years of constant usage. Cost was £800 in 1999. I think you can get a 2007 model for about £650, with what you’d like: disc brakes, aluminium frame etc – the 1999 was the last steel Caldera. I’ve had a few parts replaced and the odd wheel rebuilt.

OK, I’ve got a seized front mech at the moment but have just re-cabled (inner and outer) the rear derailleur – unbelievable rear indexed shifting has returned! It is the seized mech that drew me to this site – but I think that’s a job for the weekend – set up to run middle chain gear at the so still very functional. Replaced the rear tire with a multi-surface Specialized Armadillo (back tyre was warn and I got four punctures in two weeks and I now need it to get to work – can’t be doing with punctures), re-fitted brakes inners and cartridges (V brakes of course) and the bike is a pleasure to ride – once more. Total cost of parts < £60 (I had neglected the repairs!). The key point is bikes like this, ten years old, are still good machines and easy to work on at reasonable cheap price.

BTW I hope you chose a decent frame size. I’d go for the smallest you can get away with: I’m 5’ 7” (ish) and cycle a 16” frame with the seat post at its limit.

Anyway, hope you enjoy your new machine (link didn’t work for me – says catalogue page not found)…

__
Dominic.

e-rider

crappy member
It would be easier to say what I do like and I'm afraid that's nothing!

The suspension will not work well - you'd be better off without it.

The bike will be very heavy.

All the components are very low spec.

Warren

@ tundragumski

I do see what youre saying but the thing is that that my initail budget was £200 but at that store i got a pump, computer, chain and multitool with it as you get that with any bike above £250 and as i would of needed that in anycase i orderd the bike. You also must realise that im 19 and havent cycled for awhile and want to get back into it and cannot afford top spec bikes.
I appretiate youre help on this though, and one last question is if i do keep it (which i intend to do) would i not be able to replace the shocks (front and back) with better ones when i can afford it and then slowly upgrade and maybe even get new frame and transfer all the parts. any thoughts on this?
Thanks

e-rider

crappy member
I would not consider up-grading this bike. The frame is not suitable for up-grades and most of the parts will not fit a good quality frame.

IMO either you ride it as it is, or sell it when you've had enough and feel the need for a better bike and up-grade to a new complete bike.

Definitely, don't try and up-grade this bike.

If you up-grade to a higher spec bike in the future, seek advice from experienced cyclists or your local bike shop (if it's decent) before making any decisions.

e-rider

crappy member
Warren, I hope you enjoy the cycling when your bike arrives - it's a great sport/leisure activity with many friendly faces!

Warren

@ tundragumski

Ok thanks, think thats probably best advice. ill ride it until i have enough money for a decent bike then sell it like you said.

Thanks for the help ;)

Warren

Im sure I will enjoy it, ive just come over from South Africa and moved to brundall near norwich. Any clubs nearby? (Preferably MTB for begginers type club. but any will do)

e-rider

crappy member
My original advice remains though - there are decent bikes available for £300, just not with full suspension and hydraulic disc brakes!

You would be better off with a good quality higher spec hardtail (front suspension only) and you can buy these for £300 (like the ones I mentioned earlier).

barq

Warren, when I got back into cycling as an adult I did pretty much what you did and bought an MTB with cheap suspension. From where I stand now it wasn't a good bike. However I had a lot of fun with it and cycled thousands of miles. You may ultimately end up getting a different bike, but I think it is very hard to get your first purchase right.

Upgrades: the problem is that it is almost always cheaper to buy a complete bike rather than buying parts separately. The other issue is compatibility. You need to make sure that anything you buy is a modern standard so you can migrate them to a new bike. Focus on saddles, pedals and (possibly) wheels if you feel the need to do anything at all.

Anyway, hope you have fun with it. I doubt the set up will be problematic, but you can always post here (or Know How) if you get stuck.

Warren

To barq

Well thanks for the advice, I got the bike today, and it might just be that ive only had one realy crappy bike before (Like an £80 - £100) but wow. I noticed a huge improvement, especially in the braking (I can stop dead with one finger). I do see what you mean about the suspension though, it is not great but i think its still better than none and i really enjoy riding it and you can tell the suspension helps. I cant wait for tomorrow to go out and about cycling as i only got the bike late in the day so I only got 10k's worth of cycling after putting it together. There is one slight prob and that is the disc doesnt seem centerd(I think thats spelt wrong) and is just touching the one pad. It doesnt seem to slow me down though but should i do anything about it and if so what?

Thanks

Top Bottom