What are my rights here?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

e-rider

crappy member
Well I'm glad we sorted that out

2 things:

1. Ignore all my comments
2. This set-up doesn't have crank bolts!!!

Do you mean the 2 pinch bolts on the left crank?

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I'm no legal expert, but it seems clear to me that you have been sold faulty goods. As such, the company that sold them to you has to put them right. And your contract is with a company, not a branch.

Be polite, of course, but take no crap. Make it clear that you will escalate rapidly, and to the top of the company, if you don't get satisfaction. They really don't have a leg to stand on. (You may have slightly muddled matters by your visit to the LBS, but I really can't see Halfords trying to squirm out of this one - they'll know they're in the wrong.)

Globalti

Legendary Member
Hi Gouldina, with respect I can't understand how you have been on this forum long enough to make 132 posts yet you still haven't learned that Halfords are not a serious bike shop! Next time go to a proper bike shop and build a relationship with them, then you won't have any more of these problems.

OP
OP
G

gouldina

tundragumski said:
Well I'm glad we sorted that out

2 things:

1. Ignore all my comments
2. This set-up doesn't have crank bolts!!!

Do you mean the 2 pinch bolts on the left crank?

It's a single "bolt" that screws into the centre of the crank. It's hollow though so bolt might be slightly the wrong term, I dunno.

Like this:

fsa_goss_cpt_2005_lo_08_m.jpg

Thanks for your help btw.

OP
OP
G

gouldina

Globalti said:
Hi Gouldina, with respect I can't understand how you have been on this forum long enough to make 132 posts yet you still haven't learned that Halfords are not a serious bike shop! Next time go to a proper bike shop and build a relationship with them, then you won't have any more of these problems.

I'm aware of that but my lbs wasn't selling £1000 bikes for £400 otherwise I would have.

e-rider

crappy member
Shimano know these as crank arm adjustment caps - FSA ones are slightly different but do the same job.

This is used to initally set the cranks and BB cups before the pinch bolts on the left crank are tightened.

All sounds a bit strange to me!

e-rider

crappy member
[quote name='swee'pea99']the company that sold them to you has to put them right. And your contract is with a company, not a branch.

Yes, I agree.

OP
OP
G

gouldina

tundragumski said:
Shimano know these as crank arm adjustment caps - FSA ones are slightly different but do the same job.

This is used to initally set the cranks and BB cups before the pinch bolts on the left crank are tightened.

All sounds a bit strange to me!

Hmm. I'm sure you know more about this stuff than me but THIS website is calling it a "Left Crank Bolt".

e-rider

crappy member
Well you can call it a crank bolt if you want. It just adds confusion if you don't explain yourself very well as it suggests the 'older' style crank bolts; which are completely different.

At least we know what we are discussing now!

OP
OP
G

gouldina

tundragumski said:
Well you can call it a crank bolt if you want. It just adds confusion if you don't explain yourself very well as it suggests the 'older' style crank bolts; which are completely different.

Well here's the thing: it's not actually me that calls it that - it's FSA. That's also what the LBS guy called it, that's what he asked for on the phone when ringing the FSA supplier, that's what it said on my receipt and that's what they seem to be called on the interweb so if that constitutes not explaining myself very well when I say "the crank bolt was cross-threaded" I think that's pretty understandable. :biggrin:

OP
OP
G

gouldina

tundragumski said:
once it's all set up you could remove this 'bolt' completely and it would make no difference!

That really is not the case I promise you. When it's not tight, the cranks can move from side to side. Honest!!!!

e-rider

crappy member
No, when you tighten the pinch bolts before it's been tightened you can move the cranks. If the 'crank bolt' has been tightened correctly and then the pinch bolts on the left crank are tightened the bolt could then be removed.

I was trying to help you anyway.

OP
OP
G

gouldina

tundragumski said:
No, when you tighten the pinch bolts before it's been tightened you can move the cranks. If the 'crank bolt' has been tightened correctly and then the pinch bolts on the left crank are tightened the bolt could then be removed.

Ah yes, I can see that might be the case. In this case then, the pinch bolts would have been tightened when the crank bolt appeared tight but was in fact just cross-threaded and so there was play left in the system. Makes sense.

tundragumski said:
I was trying to help you anyway.

Yes I know and thanks for that. I don't want to be rude but you were berating me for calling something a name that the manufacturer gave it.

Top Bottom