What are the main differences between steel, aluminium and Carbon Fibre bikes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Manonabike

Manonabike

Über Member
Great information here.

So, it looks like I should be looking for a modern steel frame for my next project.

Can anybody recommend a good steel frame?

PpPete

Legendary Member
I came to the conclusion that I'd have to pay for bespoke steel @ near £1k for frame & forks, before I got significantly better than my 20 year old, 531 framed, Dawes.
Hence choice of more-or-less off the peg Ti frame & carbon forks. Same price, slightly quicker, much more comfortable.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Erm...not quite. Carbon doesn't cope well with impacts or point loadings.
The conclusion is the same though - don't knock the bike over.

EDIT - I work with the stuff for a living. I'm not just making it up as I go along...

Globalti

Legendary Member
Agreed on the wheels, going from Aksiums to Ksyrium SLs made a huge difference to the feel of my carbon bike. Fitting quality tyres made a huge difference to the feel of my son's aluminium and carbon Triban 3.

RhythMick

Über Member
Thanks for the link. The frame looks good for what I want to build.

Welcome, I love it. I find I can run 35mm Schwalbe Marathon with decent mud clearance, but not with full fender type mudguards. The rack fits well and I like that it has disc brake mounts if I need them in the future. In all it's a great bike for taking whatever I throw it at and will keep going and going if I look after it.

OP
OP
Manonabike

Manonabike

Über Member
If you're comparing new with old, then a newer design frame is likely to perform better and be more comfortable to ride while it's doing it than an older frame, regardless of the material used in its construction. (Of course, there will be exceptions to this, but I haven't come across any personally.)

If you're simply comparing new bikes in different materials, the differences in performance and comfort are much smaller, although alu generally gives a relatively harsh ride (which is why alu bikes often have carbon forks). I think choice of frame material is mostly down to personal preference, and you just need to ride bikes made from different materials to find out which you like best.

I started this thread in search of some answers with regards to whether I should get myself a brand new bike or get myself a good and old steel frame and do it up. I already have a Reynolds 531c that I purchased new in the late 80s.

I have updated the bike over the years to the point that it's quite up to date now.

So, I now got myself a new and shiny bike ^_^ it has a titanium frame and guess what? I can't see any difference in comfort. I now realise how good my old bike is. It does weight 3 or 4 kilos more than the new one but I still missed the WOW I had built myself for.

So the huge difference that people talks about between old and new designs must be in the performance.

if you made the switch from steel to Ti, then the differences in performance between the two materials are certainly minimal. The ti frame itself may well be lighter, but overall bike weight may not be any different, depending on what build kit is used. If you were expecting to notice a significant difference between the two materials, then you may have been misled... :smile:

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
So, I now got myself a new and shiny bike ^_^ it has a titanium frame and guess what? I can't see any difference in comfort. I now realise how good my old bike is. It does weight 3 or 4 kilos more than the new one but I still missed the WOW I had built myself for.

If you are comparing like with like, your new frame is certainly not Ti - it is made of unobtainium covered in anti-gravity paint! :whistle:

OP
OP
Manonabike

Manonabike

Über Member
if you made the switch from steel to Ti, then the differences in performance between the two materials are certainly minimal. The ti frame itself may well be lighter, but overall bike weight may not be any different, depending on what build kit is used. If you were expecting to notice a significant difference between the two materials, then you may have been misled... :smile:

Well, not a switch as I will continue riding my steel bike whenever I can.

No, I'm not disappointed with the material at all. Titanium gives me a very comfortable ride and looks great too. The expectation was more on the new design than anything else. I'm happy with the choice of material, I never gave Alloy any consideration and CF is not a frame for life, is it? :smile: - so it was steel or titanium and since I had two steel bikes already I was left with only one choice.

I'm not saying that I don't like the new bike but that I had not realised how good my old bike is.

Top Bottom