What are the things called which attach the cleats to the shoes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
It’s now the second time that one of the bolts has come loose.

I tightened the bolts, so what exactly is causing them to come loose? I mean, I don’t want to tighten the bolts too tight in case I snap the threads inside of holes of the shoes.

Is tightening the bolts on cleats a regular thing to do when riding a bike?
Not usually after a few rides. Try some loctite

DRM

Guru
Perhaps you need to buy a torque wrench and some loctite if you can’t gauge how tight your doing up bolts by feel,, I’ll wager your not tightening them enough.

Ajax Bay

Guru
It’s now the second time that one of the bolts has come loose.
I tightened the bolts, so what exactly is causing them to come loose? I mean, I don’t want to tighten the bolts too tight in case I snap the threads inside of holes of the shoes.
Is tightening the bolts on cleats a regular thing to do when riding a bike?
General stress and strain of using the cleats has probably caused first one, then the other to come loose. They need to be tight: hand pressure with an allen key (of about 24mm ;)) - it's likely you did not do them up tight enough. You're screwing steel screws into a threaded hole in a small steel plate.
Regular tightening: no, if you do what @vickster said: a dab of threadlocker (medium) on each screw.
ETA: Consider fixing your cleats as far back as they'll go (in the image you have them fairly forward; and I see you went for the expensivo shoes you liked the colour of).

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Am I the only person who thinks LemonJuice is a WUM?
Nope, he's clearly a troll who has nothing better to do in life other than think of stupid questions to ask on CC. The surprising thing is there are still people kind enough to bother giving a serious answer.

Quite sad really that someone has to behave this way.

C R

Guru
Nope, he's clearly a troll who has nothing better to do in life other than think of stupid questions to ask on CC. The surprising thing is there are still people kind enough to bother giving a serious answer.

Quite sad really that someone has to behave this way.
I think this is unfair. The questions may seem stupid to those that have experience, but to me they are just the questions of a total beginner. Granted, maybe some people would google a bit more before asking this sort of questions, but there's really no harm done by asking them.

Lozz360

Veteran
I’ve just checked the Allen key which fits the bolts and the size is 24mm.
1. If you have an Allen key that fits the bolts, you don’t need to worry about what the size is.
2. In any case you are clearly talking about the wrong bit of the Allen key. Allen key sizes refer to the measurement across the flats of the hexagon. I suspect you have measured the short arm (why?) which would be about right for a 3mm key.

Hudson1984

Über Member
I think this is unfair. The questions may seem stupid to those that have experience, but to me they are just the questions of a total beginner. Granted, maybe some people would google a bit more before asking this sort of questions, but there's really no harm done by asking them.

I would suggest reading his other threads to put it into context - I agree on the face of it the questions aren't that daft, but when you read them as a whole you'll get a very different impression.

C R

Guru
I would suggest reading his other threads to put it into context - I agree on the face of it the questions aren't that daft, but when you read them as a whole you'll get a very different impression.
I have read the other threads, I was even involved in replying in one of them. The OP can be quite exasperating, but if their style bothers you, then you can just ignore their threads.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I have answered other questions from the OP on more than one occasion in as much detail as my experience allows. Many others have done so as well.

Too find ones advice repeatedly ignored, as is the same and different advice from other posters, by dint of the same questions being asked again and again is frustrating. The OP is either a troll, incapable of understanding the points made to him or simply rude. I'm being far from unfair.

Q: Why does a screw come undone?
A: It wasn't tight enough initially.

It's so blindingly obvious it is clear to me this poster is WUM. Why it's allowed is beyond me.

Last edited:

berty bassett

Legendary Member
Been reading this thread with a smile on my face
It’s nice that people take the time to answer what may seem like silly questions - most questions may seem silly if you know the answer
Trying my best to be diplomatic here and maybe some people aren’t blessed with the common sense gene ,
But I can see no reason to get angry about it - just either ignore thread / person - common sense strikes again !

Reactions: C R

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Been reading this thread with a smile on my face
It’s nice that people take the time to answer what may seem like silly questions - most questions may seem silly if you know the answer
Trying my best to be diplomatic here and maybe some people aren’t blessed with the common sense gene ,
But I can see no reason to get angry about it - just either ignore thread / person - common sense strikes again !
Yes, you're right. I'm not so much angry as irritated that having spent sometime providing him/her with a genuine advice the poster continues in this manner. Anyway @LemonJuice is now on ignore, only the second time I've found it necessary to do this which says everything there is to say about this individual.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Perhaps you need to buy a torque wrench and some loctite if you can’t gauge how tight your doing up bolts by feel,, I’ll wager your not tightening them enough.

Agreed.
A fair amount of tightening is needed. You would have to have the biceps of Guy the Gorilla to strip the holding plate threads.

Top Bottom