What are these wheel lights?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crankarm

Guru
A bit gimmicky and no substitute for a good set of conventional lights. I wouldn't pay £27.50 for them let alone £127.50. I notice the test pilots don't have any conventional lights front and rear on their bikes or any other reflective material. If you shine lights on lots of Scotchlite you will be very noticeable that's why the emergency services use it on their clothing. As I say these are gimmicks.

Reactions: Maz

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
12 oz per wheel, you are going to notice that if you have some hills to go up.

This is the issue. Weight on the wheel where you don't want it. Then again if you run Marathons you'd never notice at 800g plus per tyre.

Maylian

Veteran
Makes it look like you're a tron bike, very cool looking but not sure if the price is justified when £127 can get you a really good front light and decent rear light set. Would possibly think about it just for coolness sake though

potsy

Rambler
Like the overall effect in use, don't like the look of the faff of fitting, or the price.
Much rather have a decent light front and rear that is easily transferable between bikes.

I've got to say, it's the Monkeylectric lights that really appeal, at least to my inner 8 year old:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Monkey-Ligh...f/dp/B0081UDLDY/ref=?ie=UTF8&m=A18IL0CIKU8XDQ

They wouldn't fit on my 16" wheels, so I had to settle on SpokeLits (Disco), though the new(ish) mini lights may work.

or even http://www.amazon.co.uk/Monkey-Ligh...18IL0CIKU8XDQ&qid=1354390649&s=generic&sr=1-1

or http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aero-Sport-Reflectaclip-Reflective-Spoke/dp/B004JNRU2K/ref=pd_sim_w_h__5 :thumbsup:

Would you not get a better or similar front effect of having a light on your bars then attaching 4 led lights in a line on your fork. One at top of fork, one at bottom and then two somewhere in middle.
You then have a line of 5 LEDs. The same effect from the front of these revolights.
You can also move the lights onto your other bikes. As a lot of cyclists like me have more than one bike.
Too be honest I don't mind spending the money on good lights, I have a exposure Diablo and joystick on he front and two exposure flares on the rear. At least these are waterproof not water resistant.
And the 5 led system of mine would be a fraction of the cost too.

400bhp

Guru
This is the issue. Weight on the wheel where you don't want it. Then again if you run Marathons you'd never notice at 800g plus per tyre.

Isn't the rim (and tyres) where you don't want the weight rather than the spokes?

I would have thought the problem (if there is one) with such lights would be wind resistance.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The further out from the hub, the worse the weight effect is. The battery won't be much on an issue as that's on the hub, but the lights will add rotational weight. Won't be loads though.

Top Bottom