What are these wheel lights?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Saw a rider tonight on the Old Kent Road (London) this evening with the most "outstanding" lights on his wheels

I'd love to know what they are, I've never seen them before.

I'll try to describe them.

There were white LEDs on every spoke nipple that seemed to be activated by inertia as only the lights to the front of the wheel would light up, even as the wheel turned.

The lights faced out from the hub and so lit up the rim and the tyre so from the sides a quarter of the wheel was glowing.

They also shone past the rim and forward so that from the front it looked like a 2 foot strip of LEDs were hanging from the bars in a kind of zig saggy pattern.

I tried to stop and ask about them but the traffic lights conspired against me.

These weren't monkey lights, I saw no spoke strapped battery pack and they didn't light up the spokes they lit up the rim and tyre.

Anyone know of them?

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Oops, found them
Www.revolights.com

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Not shipping to the UK yet but i'm very tempted to get them when they do.
I should add that the rider probably has then in the UK as he probably backed them on kickstarted.

I take it that they stand out really well due to you posting asking what they are.

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Not shipping to the UK yet but i'm very tempted to get them when they do.
I should add that the rider probably has then in the UK as he probably backed them on kickstarted.
I've just started reading the kickstarter blog. Interesting stuff.

I can't tell you how much these lights stood out, they were even more apparent tan the videos on the site show.

Bit Xmas tree but then if you want to be seen...

But £250!!!

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I've just started reading the kickstarter blog. Interesting stuff.

I can't tell you how much these lights stood out, they were even more apparent tan the videos on the site show.

Bit Xmas tree but then if you want to be seen...

But £250!!!
I think the price is justified by the second line of text in your post.

Kins

Über Member
4 hrs per battery life is abit steep as well. Not to bad if you daisy chain batteries in your charger but still, thats some power usage.

They do look funky though!

Keenbfb

When you first described them I thought you meant these ones http://www.firebox.com/product/5489/MonkeyLectric-LED-Bike-Light

Lanzecki

Über Member
There are a lot of these things made non-professionally. They can be done very cheaply. The Revolight system is just very professionally made and well programmed. I'd assume that the controller board is based upon a commercially available product.

It really does look good though

Bodhbh

Guru
Not sure how it rates them as theft resistant. Your ride up to a bike stand with that on and chain it up and every magpie in the vacinity will be having a nose.

Lanzecki

Über Member
Not sure how it rates them as theft resistant. Your ride up to a bike stand with that on and chain it up and every magpie in the vacinity will be having a nose.

They probabally don't stand out that much. Theft resistant? Your guess is as good as mine. Anything from Fort Knox to needs a screwdriver.

Top Bottom