What are these wheel lights?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

subaqua

What’s the point
what price is safety

time, cost, benefit and effort. for me thats too much to spend . YMMV

D

Deleted member 20519

The Revolights are expensive and they don't do a very good job of lighting up your path, a good set of lights for half the price would do a better job.

markharry66

Über Member
as they say on Dragons Den thank for the opportunity but this time I will not be investing.
There is a reason why there is no importer to uk to expensive, to heavy and overall despite the video they look crap

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
as they say on Dragons Den thank for the opportunity but this time I will not be investing.
There is a reason why there is no importer to uk to expensive, to heavy and overall despite the video they look crap
I disagree with the looking crap comment, they looked "out of this world" literally, I thought i'd seen a ufo.

point is, at least I thought I'd seen something

Lanzecki

Über Member
If you watch the video's they are impressive. As we all know flashing/moving lights do attract attention much more then a static light. This is pretty much the ultimate.

It leads me to try and emulate the same but on a cheaper level while still getting the same effect. I'll keep people posted.

I disagree with the looking crap comment, they looked "out of this world" literally, I thought i'd seen a ufo.

point is, at least I thought I'd seen something

A row of LEDs down the forks would do much the same trick at lower cost, lower weight and longer battery life, and could be made completely waterproof. No need for fancy electronics, could just be done with a rubber sleeve and would fit all bikes...

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
A row of LEDs down the forks would do much the same trick at lower cost, lower weight and longer battery life, and could be made completely waterproof. No need for fancy electronics, could just be done with a rubber sleeve and would fit all bikes...

Funny enough i saw a chap last night with led's on his forks and on the end of his drops as well as on his bars, he did indeed stand out

Also, it must be a complete PITA to change a tyre with them on.
Not sure it would TBH, they sit inside the rim and so dont affect the tyre.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I like the idea, the brake light one would be brillant hate being in the fairly fast moving traffic and braking even though the car in fronts brake lights come on never quite sure how much of a distraction I am on the bike for them not to notice the car in front of me braking.

Funny enough i saw a chap last night with led's on his forks and on the end of his drops as well as on his bars, he did indeed stand out

Not sure it would TBH, they sit inside the rim and so dont affect the tyre.
They are right where your tyre lever goes, the sit inside of the rim but proud of the wheel by a good distance. Have a look at the pics on the review above.

Lanzecki

Über Member
As promised :

Step one of 'Project LongLife'

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR8kS_-iENI&feature=youtu.be

Proving that the theory is good: Each single LED will be an array of High Output LED's. The controller board I'm using is only getting 5volts from the USB connector.

Eventually power will be supplied from a 9v pack. And have more outputs. IE More LED Arrays

Step two is to add a switch to control the speed of the lights. This will simulate the revolutions of a wheel. IE quicker switch presses = faster wheel revs.

Step 3 is moving to a prototype to attach to a bike wheel in a test bed. Also including using a micro (physically smaller) controller card and using battery power attached to the wheel hub for ballance

Step 4 Prototype testing: Robustness, Light output, Battery life, Accuracy of LED positioning. cleaning of the code on the controller board. Also reducing the weight of the controller and power supply.

Step5 design of a 'final product'

Step 6 Shove it on my bike, and wonder why I was bothered to do this when I should have been doing kilometres .

Step7 Beer.

Top Bottom