What are those things called that go on the end of the cables?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've just found pink ones on ebay........

MartinC

Über Member
There are alternatives to cable crimps.

You can get 2.5mm tubular shrink insulation from places like Maplins. Pop a 1cm piece of this over the cable end and shrink it with a cigarette lighter. When you take it off (easy) for whatever reason the cable hasn't been squashed by crimping a cable cap on.

You can solder the ends. You won't be able to solder the stainless steel cable but the solder will hold the strands together.

Cable caps do give the cables a non sharp/scratchy end though.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
MartinC said:
You can solder the ends. You won't be able to solder the stainless steel cable but the solder will hold the strands together.

I used to do that. I'd pre-cut my cables to the right length, take them to work, dip them in some engineering flux and pop the ends in a solder bath. Smooth off with emery paper then fit. I didn't think it would work when I first tried it, somehow it does.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

I don't work there!

'twas supposed to be a compliment!:wacko:

Mr Pig

Just a thought. Could you not solder the end of the cable together? A lick of solder into the part you're cutting would also stop it fraying wouldn't it?

I've nevber had a problem as I've always managed to cut them without fraying

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
If you have a decent pair of cable cutters you can slice straight through cables without them fraying. It's a good idea to put those nipple things on though to stop them fraying later.

The main reason for covering the ends of cables is that they can make nasty weapons in a crash. Once your leg has been stabbed by the end of a cable you won't leave one unprotected again!

Incidentally, the same principle applies to handlebar ends. If you don't put plugs in handlebars, a bar end can act just like an apple corer. You don't want that...

10063262.JPG

If you don't believe me, read this horror story - yikes :smile:!

02GF74

Über Member
^^^ wot he said - shrink fit - lighter too.

or yoou could just wrap insulation tape over the end.

Top Bottom