What are those things called that go on the end of the cables?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

Frayed cables are driving me crazy...any way, what are those little metal bits called that you clip onto th eend of the cables to stop them fraying?...and any tips fro stopping the dam things fraying in the first place?

I was messing around trying to set up the de railers having deliberatly messed them up to get some practice in...the cable end was frayed so I tried to cut it...cutters failed, pliers did it eventually...but the cable is now to short...it was a new one yesterday...oh well...sod it, it's all in the name of development...new cable out, crap...no grease...ok I'll use chain lube for now...get it through the bar end levers and connect it all back up and tighten the cable....too bloody short...crap cable is now frayed ...tried to cut it again...frayed....no new cables....bike shop shut....no ride for me today:sad::biggrin::smile:

zimzum42

Legendary Member
I normally ask for 'those things that go at the end of cables'....

Cable ends?????

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

....when was the last time you saw a bird in a bike shop???

Oh and how do I google search for

'them things what you stick on a frayed cable like?'

jasper

Cable nipples, but you'll have more luck searching cable end caps.

Wrap a bit of tape around the cable and then use sharp cutters to cut through. That way the tape will hold the strands together. Add the nipple (no need to take tape off) and crimp.

P.H

Über Member
They're called crimps be aware they're sometimes different sizes for brake and gear cables.

...no grease...ok I'll use chain lube for now

Oil is better than grease for cables anyway, grease can get very thick in cold weather.

simoncc

Bigtallfatbloke said:
....when was the last time you saw a bird in a bike shop???
Oh and how do I google search for

'them things what you stick on a frayed cable like?'

That's a very good point! I've never, ever come across a woman working in a bike shop. Considering the type of man you often getting running them or working in them that's not too surprising.

And this is what google turned up for me.

http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDetails.asp?productID=15643

rich p

ridiculous old lush
There's a really tasty mtb-er gal in one of my local shops:tongue::tongue:

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

500 crimps...hmm...I suppose i could pass them onto my son as a legacy and he could then pass them on to his kids kids kids...:biggrin:

..ok Thanks , now I know what to ask the hot MTB girl in Richs lbs:biggrin:

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Ask at your LBS, mine give me a handful for free whenever I need any. I suspect most places would (assuming you occasionally buy stuff there)

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
Tip! Get a lighter and burn the cable untill it's red then cut it, that should stop it fraying.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Cycle Promotions sell little packets of half a dozen or so for 50p.

And yes, it's worth buying some really sharp cable cutters just for this job. Hide them well, so that other members of your household can't blunt them by using them for jobs for which they are not appropriate.

The cable cutters in pliers aren't up to it.

Top Bottom