What are you reading

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Actually writing the above has reminded me of a great book - The Last Duel by Eric Jager (about the last officially sanctioned duel in France in the 1400s). What a story, absolutely gripping. A film has been made of it, which I hadn't realised but staying in an Air BnB last year had it in and i watched it there. Not a bad film either. Must re-read the book - I have it on Kindle.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Sorry to bang on about duelling, but what got me about The Last Duel is the level of detail about the final fight. Written at the time, it talks about one feinting one way the other goes for a right cut, one dodges etc etc. I'm always amazed that such records survive over the centuries.

Sorry to bang on about duelling, but what got me about The Last Duel is the level of detail about the final fight. Written at the time, it talks about one feinting one way the other goes for a right cut, one dodges etc etc. I'm always amazed that such records survive over the centuries.

Somewhat unlikely the level of detail in the report is pukka. More than likely embellished for the benefit of the audience.

Ah yeah, and I used to fence with all three weapons. So know how quickly phases of swordplay can progress.

Top Bottom