What are you reading

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
Yeah, made a start on Game of Thrones (bought some of the books years ago), but kind of finding it hard to get in to it. Tbh there's other epic fantasy out there that's better e.g. Janny Wurts' "Wars of Light and Shadow" and Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time".
They are tricky to get into, I think the number of characters doesn't help which is something the Malazan series suffers from too.

I've not read the Jenny Wurts series, but the wheel of time series drags something rotten in the middle which would stop me recommending it.

Wheel of time led me to Brandon sandersons mistborn stories which I can recommend though.

Oh for epic, its hard to beat Malazan

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Is this any good? Specifically does it have real substance to it rather than (presymably) lefty platitudes? Is it readable? For what it's worth I have read several of Galbreiths (popular) books if that's any guide.

It sounds rather like you've made your mind up about it already.

I found it a little too densely argued to be page turningly readable, personally, (although it's by no means unreadable). He does show his working, and his data are available, should you wish to examine the arguments made in more detail.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Grammar Rules: Writing with Military Precision by Craig Shrives. Got it for three quid in TK Maxx after it caught my eye as a result of a tattoo related grammar debate during the last week.

They are tricky to get into, I think the number of characters doesn't help which is something the Malazan series suffers from too.

I've not read the Jenny Wurts series, but the wheel of time series drags something rotten in the middle which would stop me recommending it.

Wheel of time led me to Brandon sandersons mistborn stories which I can recommend though.

Oh for epic, its hard to beat Malazan

Yeah - this is something that a lot of epic fantasy and sci-fi suffers from. Some authors deal with it better than others.

Janny Wurts writes some good stuff. I'd recommend the "Empire" trilogy she co-wrote with Ray Feist (it's part of the Riftwar Saga) as a good starting point.

I'm currently reading Abaddon's Gate, the third book in the Expanse series by James S.A. Corey and am really enjoying the series.

I notice that the series 'The Expanse' on Netflix is based on the books.

Has anyone watched the series and is it any good?

Graham

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
I'm currently reading Abaddon's Gate, the third book in the Expanse series by James S.A. Corey and am really enjoying the series.

I notice that the series 'The Expanse' on Netflix is based on the books.

Has anyone watched the series and is it any good?

Graham
It's good, but it does differ from the books in places.

Alex and Amos are as I pictured them but holden and Naomi less so. Bobby is awesome

Last edited:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
The Witchcraft Reader, Darren Oldridge (editor)

Interesting (and so far) well chosen collection of writing on the subject of witchcraft.

Milzy

Guru
Shut up Legs

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Catching up;

Robert Crais - Free Fall (Elvis Cole #4)
Better for having taken a break from the series, I think, they do get a little formulaic. Cole tangles with some corrupt cops in this one.

Duncan Hamilton - Harold Larwood
Fascinating biography of the England fast bowler, best known for his participation in the infamous "Body Line" tour. Hamilton's liking for Larwood skews the writing at times, but otherwise great.

P.D. James - The Children of Men
Slightly dated in its conception of the future at times, but I enjoyed this.

Chuck Palalhniuk - Non-Fiction
A collection of non-fiction essays by the author most famous for Fight Club. I guess it's inevitable that these would be mixed in quality, and personally, I found the first few pretty unpleasant, and his interview/profile pieces overly mannered. The stuff towards the end (particularly in which he reflects upon the effect Fight Club has had on his life) is really good though.

Robert Wright Campbell - Thinning the Turkey Herd (Jimmy Flannery #4)
More good stuff from Campbell's amateur detective/sewer worker/Democratic party worker. I've posted before about how I like Flannery's idiomatic speech as Campbell writes it, and the stories are invariably about this essentially decent man being underestimated by his "betters" up to the point that he catches them out. Free to read via the Kindle lending library as well, if you have a Kindle.

slow scot

Veteran
Try Robert Louis Stevenson's Travels with a Donkey in the Cevennes. Fantastic travel book in a wonderful part of France. Then go and do it on your bike! One of my best ever cycle tours.

Just been reading a couple of the Mike Pannett books, over the past few days;
https://www.waterstones.com/author/mike-pannett/226485

And, in the locker at work, for pre-start time, & meal-breaks;
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Doorstep-S...qid=1512160134&sr=1-17&keywords=h+p+lovecraft

As a light-hearted read, at bedtime;
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ogri-Colle...s&ie=UTF8&qid=1512160242&sr=1-2&keywords=ogri

Having looked at the prices of #1, I have that too.............. £172 (used)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ogri-Colle...&ie=UTF8&qid=1512160293&sr=1-15&keywords=ogri

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Try Robert Louis Stevenson's Travels with a Donkey in the Cevennes. Fantastic travel book in a wonderful part of France. Then go and do it on your bike! One of my best ever cycle tours.
Will definitely look that out - I've been a fan of Stevenson's since reading some of his short stories a little while ago.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Catching up again;

Before They Are Hanged - Joe Abercrombie
The second book in Abercrombie's "The First Law" series. I've enjoyed both of those I've read, great characters, and page turningly readable, at least so far.

The Magician's Accomplice - Michael Genelin
Read on the recommendation of a friend - a Police procedural focussed (in this book) on a wider conspiracy. The mystery is well put together, but I found the characters a little stilted and unreal at times. An ok read.

The Cat's Meow - Robert Wright Campbell
Book 5 in the Jimmy Flannery series, and a particularly good one, I thought. A decent mystery, Flannery triumphing over the moneyed interests, what more could you want?

Currently reading -
The Boy Who Followed Ripley - Patricia Highsmith
Whilst still good, not as strong as the earlier Ripley books, and a little disjointed in feel, I thought.

Top Bottom