What are you reading

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
The Unexpected Joy of Being Sober by Catherine Gray.

I saw her interviewed on Breakfast TV several weeks ago, along with the authors of a couple of other books about going on the wagon. I didn't intend to buy her book but for some reason it came to my Amazon page as a bargain recommendation, so I thought I would give it a go.

A very interesting and honest account of how she became addicted to alcohol, how her life spiralled out of control as a result, the challenges of going sober and how her life improved as a result. Even though my own drinking has never been out of control, I can recognise certain patterns of behaviour and ways of thinking in myself and others from reading this book - thought provoking.

I went to the Forbidden Planet the other day. I may have bought a few books... :whistle:

Finished the last of the GoT books last week and am now reading the Clone Rebellion series by Stephen Kent. On book 3 of 10. :reading:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Finished "Fire and Fury" by Michael Wolff. It's certainly a page turner, although some outlets in the US have problems with Wolff's journalism. It rings true to me, but then I suppose you could argue that it would.

I've just started "Dead and Gone" by Andrew Vachss, which I'm sticking with largely because of affection for the characters/investment in the series - so far, this entry is a bit over explanatory.

Just finished Thatcher Stole my Trousers by Alexei Sayle.

Very good, interesting as well for those who remember the birth of "alternative comedy", London of that period, some of the lunacies of the left and some of the personal mortivations of some on the left.

If you've ever wondered about his stage anger at that time, the tales of his mum will be illuminating.

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
Angels Flight, no. 6 in the Bosch detective novels by Michael Connelly - not bad.

So you've been publicly shamed by Jon Ronson - a study of the phenomenon of public shaming, done mainly these days via social media - every would be troll should read it.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Just finished Thatcher Stole my Trousers by Alexei Sayle.

Very good, interesting as well for those who remember the birth of "alternative comedy", London of that period, some of the lunacies of the left and some of the personal mortivations of some on the left.

If you've ever wondered about his stage anger at that time, the tales of his mum will be illuminating.

I read the first of his memoirs, which was very good. I have not got around to reading this yet.

midlife

Guru
[QUOTE 5130157, member: 259"]The Long Goodbye by Raymond Chandler. California, what it is to be human, and dead smart, witty writing.[/QUOTE]

All of Chandler's novels are available free on the Kindle :smile:

So you've been publicly shamed by Jon Ronson - a study of the phenomenon of public shaming, done mainly these days via social media - every would be troll should read it.

Required reading for sure for some of the tradit PCA clique.

Working my way through the Harry Bosch books and have just finished No.11 in the series, ‘The Closers’.

I thought it was one of the better ones, although they’ve all been good.

Now starting No.12, ‘Echo Park’.

maybe.

Even Orwell hasn't been dead long enough to fall into free rights, since they extended it, unless you choose to be cheeky and head to Australia.

Still, lots of stuff on gutenberg

Top Bottom