What are you reading

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
Just finished Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. It is a novel set in the war between Nigeria and Biafra in the 1960s and the Biafran fight for independence, centred on a couple of twin sisters and their other halves. I found it very tough going. It was quite harrowing in a couple of places as you might expect, but generally was long passages of little happening interspersed with occasional moments of slightly rising interest level, or shock. Quite disappointing after reading the generally excellent reviews beforehand. I guess it's a matter of taste, but this just didn't float my boat.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
I’ve just finished the first book in the Mortdecai trilogy by Kyril Bonfiglioli.

Absolutely hilarious (if you have a similar sense of humour to me).

I’ve already started the second book and have the third lined up.

You may remember the film starring Johnny Depp as Mortdecai, Paul Bettany as Jock Strapp, and Gwyneth Paltrow as Joanna Mortdecai. Very close to the books, but they always change something. Depp is a fan of the books though, so I’ve read.

C R

Guru
I am a big fan of Terry Pratchett, so got the Tiffany Aching series to see if my daughters would find them interesting. They seem indifferent to them, :sad:, but I find them as good as the rest of the Discworld series. I am halfway through Wintersmith, and then two more left.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
I am a big fan of Terry Pratchett, so got the Tiffany Aching series to see if my daughters would find them interesting. They seem indifferent to them, :sad:, but I find them as good as the rest of the Discworld series. I am halfway through Wintersmith, and then two more left.

They’re great books, my son loves them. If you’ve read the rest of the Discworld books, you’ll need a hanky for one scene in The Shepherd’s Crown.

Just got myself another copy (lost original) of Good Omens. Looking forward to that. Meanwhile reading Homo Deus, also very interesting.

Love Good Omens. Get ready for the upcoming TV show of it starring David Tennant as Crowley and Michael Sheen as Aziraphale (great casting!)

C R

Guru
Just got myself another copy (lost original) of Good Omens. Looking forward to that. Meanwhile reading Homo Deus, also very interesting.

Did you manage to get through Sapiens? I got to about the middle of it and just lost interest.

They’re great books, my son loves them. If you’ve read the rest of the Discworld books, you’ll need a hanky for one scene in The Shepherd’s Crown.

Love Good Omens. Get ready for the upcoming TV show of it starring David Tennant as Crowley and Michael Sheen as Aziraphale (great casting!)

I haven't read all of the Discworld series, maybe half of them, not in any particular order, but filling the gaps slowly. My favourite character is Vetinary, but Tiffany and Escarina are close followers. Good Omens is also in my long list of things to read when I have time.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Did you manage to get through Sapiens? I got to about the middle of it and just lost interest.

I haven't read all of the Discworld series, maybe half of them, not in any particular order, but filling the gaps slowly. My favourite character is Vetinary, but Tiffany and Escarina are close followers. Good Omens is also in my long list of things to read when I have time.

Pyramids is my absolute favourite, but it’s a one-off. As a series, I think The Watch books are my favourites (Guards, Guards; Men At Arms; Feet of Clay; Jingo; The Fifth Elephant; Night Watch; Thud; Snuff).

But really, I love every Discworld book. I must have read every one at least 4 times and most of them 6 plus times. :okay:

Reactions: C R

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Norse Mythology- Neil Gaiman

I was hoping to find advice on plaiting my hair and beard, but I haven’t got to that bit yet.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I am reading Huckleberry Finn - very good. I started reading it when I was a boy because I liked Tom Sawyer, but I found it rather long and it started to get boring so I gave up.

Also reading Winged Victory by V M Yeates, which is a story based on his experiences as an RFC pilot in WW1 - very, very good.

Pyramids is my absolute favourite, but it’s a one-off. As a series, I think The Watch books are my favourites (Guards, Guards; Men At Arms; Feet of Clay; Jingo; The Fifth Elephant; Night Watch; Thud; Snuff).

But really, I love every Discworld book. I must have read every one at least 4 times and most of them 6 plus times. :okay:

City Watch here too. but growing to like Moist von Lipwig, in 'Postal', Money. & Steam'

And of course, Adora Belle, & Angua

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHZTXwVDXnU

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Have you got 'All the Tea in China'? It's about one of Mordecai's ancestors. Probably my favourite of his.

No, not got that one. I’ll add it to the list. I’ve got ‘Don’t Point That Thing At Me’, ‘After You With The Pistol’, and ‘Something Nasty In The Woodshed’. I’m half way through the second one at the moment.

City Watch here too. but growing to like Moist von Lipwig, in 'Postal', Money. & Steam'

And of course, Adora Belle, & Angua

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHZTXwVDXnU

I like the Lipwig books too. He’s a kind of loveable rascal. Spike is a great character too and balances Moist rather well.

Top Bottom