What are you reading

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C R

Guru
Going Postal was my first Discworld novel, so Lipwig is one of my favorites. Regarding the movies, what did you think? I only watched a bit of The Colour of Magic, and was hugely disappointed, it didn't seem to capture the book at all in my view.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
And, both are perfectly cast

I do prefer Charles Dance, as Havelock, to Jeremy Irons (although, Irons does portray a good Alfred Pennyworth)

I preferred Irons. I think it was the look for me as he matches the art and description more accurately. His interpretation was good though too, but Dance’s was slightly better.

Going Postal was my first Discworld novel, so Lipwig is one of my favorites. Regarding the movies, what did you think? I only watched a bit of The Colour of Magic, and was hugely disappointed, it didn't seem to capture the book at all in my view.

The Colour of Magic (and a The Light Fantastic) are probably the worst books in the series, but written when Pratchett was starting out. The TV shows reflect this. Plus they were low budget affairs too.

[QUOTE 5210934, member: 259"]None of the films are any good really, and the ones with Del Boy playing Rincewind were the worst of the bunch by a long chalk. I am desperately hoping the upcoming Guards! series is better, and that it doesn't have Benedict Cumberbatch in it.[/QUOTE]

David Jason was good as Albert in Hogfather. He shouldn’t have been cast as another main character though. I’m looking forward to The Watch series (if it ever materialises). Cumberbatch was good as Sherlock (I thought), but no, definitely not in The Watch. He’d make a good Death though. It’s the cheekbones!

Reactions: C R

C R

Guru
The Colour of Magic (and a The Light Fantastic) are probably the worst books in the series, but written when Pratchett was starting out. The TV shows reflect this. Plus they were low budget affairs too.
I liked both books, though I agree he gets better later. What I found with the movies was that the hilarity just wasn't there, for instance, the scene when the imp comes out to say he has run out of red always makes me laugh in the book, but in the movie it just fell flat. I don't think it was just David Jason, they just didn't manage to make it work.

ETA About Cumberbatch, he has the cheekbones, but not sure his voice works, I am thinking Dance's voice would work better.

Hyslop

Veteran
The Debateable Land by Graham Robb,and Chasing The Rainbow by Giles Belbin.The first is a history/personal experience of the Anglo-Scottish border,the Western March in particular, and the latter,well,a bike book,the history of the World Championships.Both enjoyable reads,recommend them.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
I liked both books, though I agree he gets better later. What I found with the movies was that the hilarity just wasn't there, for instance, the scene when the imp comes out to say he has run out of red always makes me laugh in the book, but in the movie it just fell flat. I don't think it was just David Jason, they just didn't manage to make it work.

ETA About Cumberbatch, he has the cheekbones, but not sure his voice works, I am thinking Dance's voice would work better.
Some scenes in books do not have the impact on screen for the viewer as for the reader. The ‘build-up’ just isn’t there for the punchline.

Reactions: C R

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
[QUOTE 5210225, member: 259"]I found that very hard going. I know a bit about Norse mythology and I quite like his stuff usually.[/QUOTE]

I am now about 20% of the way through, and I am really swimming the treacle channel. It’s hard going, not very exciting and I am skimming a lot.

I normally love Gaiman’s work. This though...£3.79 I would rather have spent in a couple of bags of jelly beans.

[QUOTE 5210934, member: 259"]I am desperately hoping the upcoming Guards! series is better, and that it doesn't have Benedict Cumberbatch in it.[/QUOTE]

With a user-name like yours, who better than to ask who should play the main charactors
(even if it ought to be a separate thread)

Bought this yesterday, started reading it at work, in meal-breaks today

31563906_10214467374110420_1850238131787935191_n.jpg

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
Dynasty: The rise and fall of the House of Caesar by Tom Holland. I love reading about the Romans, but although this is an excellent book, you really need to concentrate due to the tangled web of characters and the detail the author puts into it.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5111348, member: 259"]They're very good aren't they? I've only read Austerity Britain and Family Britain, but you've reminded me about them so I'm going to order Modernity next. :smile:

But in Kindle this time rather than hardback, as I don'T think my elbows can take the strain any longer![/QUOTE]

Am now half way through "modernity" and can confirm it's keeping up the standard set by the first two. OK I might skim read a section that's not that interesting to me personally, but it's still rather a wonderful set of books: well-written, and bringing to life those times slightly before my own childhood, yet close enough to have had an influence on the adults around at that time. Superb set of books

Top Bottom