What are you reading

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
Working my way through the Harry Bosch books and have just finished No.11 in the series, ‘The Closers’.

I thought it was one of the better ones, although they’ve all been good.

Now starting No.12, ‘Echo Park’.
I enjoy them, they all have a good plot with a few twists and turns, but if I was to criticise them I would say they are a bit slow and the villain's fate is always a bit too predictable....to say more might be classed as spoiling, but I have only got as far as no. 6 so might be surprised by future ones.

GuyBoden

Guru
Society of the Spectacle by Guy Debord

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Enemy At The Gates, William Craig. About the battle for Stalingrad. It's not new, originally published in 1973, which meant he was able to interview several combatants, from both sides, as they were still alive. I found it great to read - yes, it can be gruesome and the conditions don't bear thinking about, but there are several times which are either funny or give you hope. I particularly liked the incident where a Russian major gave the artillery the coordinates of the quarter master when he had his vodka ration cut off!

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Currently working my way through Agatha Christie’s books. I’ve finished Hercule Poirot and I’m now on the last Miss Marple. Some of the best writing you’ll ever read. Next Colonel Race and Inspector Battle. Can’t wait.

AndyRM

XOXO
I'm currently reading some awful thing called The Stigma which I picked up from the charity book table at work purely because it has a great cover (it has a reflective/shiny effect):

51GxpivBZ-L._SX326_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

However, I saw this in the library earlier so I might swap...

IMG_20180219_122643.jpg

Enemy At The Gates, William Craig. About the battle for Stalingrad. It's not new, originally published in 1973, which meant he was able to interview several combatants, from both sides, as they were still alive. I found it great to read - yes, it can be gruesome and the conditions don't bear thinking about, but there are several times which are either funny or give you hope. I particularly liked the incident where a Russian major gave the artillery the coordinates of the quarter master when he had his vodka ration cut off!

I've got that stashed away somewhere. Might dig it out again. The vodka incident is class.

Trawling charity shops both here and in Wendover. 'Muck, Sweat and Gears', £1, great little book. This inspired me to purchase, for the princely sum of a fiver, these two:
I'm no pro racing fan, but these two should get me up to speed with some history and jargon.

Also love rereading all Tempe Brennan 'Bones' novels, Tom Clancy another favourite.
For anyone interested in submarines, try 'Hunter Killers' by Ian Ballantyne. Found it on the shelf while house sitting. Now have a HB copy of my own, signed by one of the metioned sub drivers.

Last edited:
Picked up a beautiful book today on a stall at a charity cat show: The Cat - 3500 Years of the Cat in Art

Along with four other books including a 100 year old book on Persians and a beautifully illustrated volume with the poem "Pangur Ban"

Total cost to me, £2

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
A Very English Scandal - about the Jeremy Thorpe affair in the 1970s.
What a sordid little story.
I remember the whole thing in the newspapers and on TV when it was revealed.
How they got away with it defies belief!
Oddly enough, after reading the book, the only character who comes away with any dignity is the one who was most vilified at the time - Norman Scott.

Top Bottom