What are you reading

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
I recently read Skinhead by Richard Allen. This book, and a few others, such as Suedehead, Skinhead Escapes and Chopper were all the rage when I was at school in the early 70s during the Skinhead / Boot boy/ Suedehead / Smoothie / Hell's Angel era, and I read most of them then when making out you were dead hard was in vogue, and if you used phrases like "in vogue" you would have got your head kicked in for being a nancy boy.

Out of curiosity I found it on Amazon for a couple of quid so got it for my Kindle. All I can say is, what a load of garbage, seems like it was written in a hurry, shallow lazy plot with cartoon style predictable gratuitous violence.

Now reading City of Bones by Michael Connelly, the 8th of the Harry Bosch detective stories, a much better quality read.

[QUOTE 5130157, member: 259"]The Long Goodbye by Raymond Chandler. California, what it is to be human, and dead smart, witty writing.[/QUOTE]

Just catching up with this thread.

If you like Raymond Chandler, you'll really enjoy Philip Kerr's 'Bernie Gunther' series.

Unfortunately Philip Kerr died recently, but he managed to turn out a dozen or so Gunther books: top drawer reading (and writing) with plenty of chuckles thrown in for good measure.

At home, I'm catching up on a bit of local-ish history, through various books pulled off my shelves
(& one, for the Western answer to the 'Great North Road')
DSCF4783.JPG DSCF5019.JPG DSCF5020.JPG DSCF5021.JPG

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
This is Going to Hurt: Secret Diaries of a Junior Doctor. Hilarious. Also gut-wrenching. Also infuriating. Makes you wonder how the NHS functions at all (but not why it hoovers up money). But mostly hilarious. Adam Kay, who wrote it, now writes for tv instead. You can certainly see why.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The Chimp Paradox by Prof Steve Peters, consultant psychiatrist to the Sky Cycling team etc.

I wasn't interested enough to pay the full price for it, but it was on offer for Kindle at 99p yesterday so I downloaded a copy.

I can tell you already that my inner Chimp has been in charge for too long and has been bullying my latent Human! :laugh:

"A Flag Full of Stars" by Brad Ferguson.

A Star Trek novel set between the end of the original series and the first of the films.

Hitchington

Lovely stuff
Re-reading Iain M Banks culture series. Heard that Amazon are producing a Consider Phlebas TV series, so dug out my collect to refamiliarise myself.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Re-reading the Hellequin series by Steve McHugh as the final book has come out so I thought I’d do the series justice and start again from beginning. I’ve read the first book, Crime Against Magic, and I’m now on Born To Hatred. Great characters, plot and dialogue. Recommended.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I am reading The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins. Pretty good so far.
Also reading The Alexandria Quartet by Lee Durrell, elder brother of Gerald Durrell who wrote My Family and Other Animals. It was a mistake starting this. It's about 2 inches thick and it's like wading through treacle.

MiK1138

Veteran
Sex Life of the Siamese Twins - Irvine Welsh Not your usual Welsh fare, the main protagonist is a Miami South Beach Fitness nut who goes a bit radge

I have just finished Homo Deus, by Yuval Harari , a thoroughly interesting read but not as good as his previous book Sapiens which was excellent.

Just starting Lost Connections : Uncovering The Real Causes Of Depression - And The Unexpected Solutions by Johann Hari

Top Bottom