What are you reading

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephec

Legendary Member
This.

WIN_20160811_16_10_49_Pro.jpg

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Just but these at my WH Smith Local ...

Screenshot_20160902-080134.jpg

&

Screenshot_20160902-080243.jpg

Time will tell if I enjoy them as I haven't even started, but at 2 for £5 it would be rude not to.

Sure another CC'er recommended these previously, maybe in another book thread.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Just but these at my WH Smith Local ...

View attachment 142231

&

View attachment 142232

Time will tell if I enjoy them as I haven't even started, but at 2 for £5 it would be rude not to.

Sure another CC'er recommended these previously, maybe in another book thread.

I would be glad to hear your opinion of these books as I have just purchased the War dog book for £2.50.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Worlds Without End: The Many Lives of the Multiverse (Mary Jane Rubenstein)

The first chapter (covering ideas of the universe in ancient philosophies) is interesting, but not the easiest of reads so far...

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Just finished Ali Smith's How To Be Both, which I probably wouldn't ever have read if a friend hadn't left it behind at our place. It is beautifully written and well-worth reading, although ironically might have been better had it been one thing or two things rather than both. You'll have to read it to see what I mean...

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
As I walked out one Midsummer Morning, by Laurie Lee. He really is the most wonderfully evocative writer, which you can't help feeling reflects at least in part his very rudimentary (village school) education. He learned to write the best way - by reading, for enjoyment. And it shows. At random, the first page of my next chapter:

lee.jpg

'Lying safe in the old ship's blousy care...' - you can almost feel the gentle rock of the boat, the lapping of waves...'blousy' is sublime.

Leviathan Wakes by James S A Corey.
Sci if...In the future, mankind has spread out into the galaxy and fragmented into rival civilisations, Earthers, Martians and Belters, those who have never felt real gravity and have evolved to suit.
It's a mix of hard bitten cop out to find a missing rich girl, a crew of ice hauliers led by an upright captain, a maniacal corporation who find an ancient doomsday weapon from another species and try to use it in almost genocidal terms to evolve humankind way beyond its current evolution.
I haven't even got to who the ancient alien civilisation are or why...but it's a really good read.so far.
Love this series, waiting for the new book which is due in November. Brilliant concepts of the future.

Reactions: gbb

Starchivore

I don't know much about Cinco de Mayo
As I walked out one Midsummer Morning, by Laurie Lee. He really is the most wonderfully evocative writer, which you can't help feeling reflects at least in part his very rudimentary (village school) education. He learned to write the best way - by reading, for enjoyment. And it shows.

I liked that book a lot too. A great read- I really felt like I'd experienced something with it. And very interesting history-wise.

Starchivore

For anyone interested in mountains/mountaineering, I heartily recommend this that I read a while ago, by Joe Simpson. A little slow early on in talking about other parts of his life, but once it really turns to the Eiger it's fantastic, absolutely fascinating with the history of the mountain and a very tense and interesting account of his experience on it.

b84ecfa38-1.jpg

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Decided to pick up David Byrne's Bicycle Diaries again. I bought this a few years ago, started reading and stopped because i found his writing style tiresome. I'm giving it a second chance.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
For anyone interested in mountains/mountaineering, I heartily recommend this that I read a while ago, by Joe Simpson. A little slow early on in talking about other parts of his life, but once it really turns to the Eiger it's fantastic, absolutely fascinating with the history of the mountain and a very tense and interesting account of his experience on it.

b84ecfa38-1.jpg

All his books are worth reading, but that one's definitely a return to the top form of Game of Ghosts and Void

Starchivore

All his books are worth reading, but that one's definitely a return to the top form of Game of Ghosts and Void

I haven't read Game of Ghosts. How was that one? I think it is an account of various climbs and adventures/misadventures of him and friends of him- right?

Another mountaineering book I found very interesting was "Buried in the sky", which recounted the K2 disaster in 2008, but with the primary focus on the lives and experiences of two of the sherpa climbers involved.

Top Bottom