What are you reading

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colly

Re member eR
The Hydrogen Sonata - Iain M. Banks.

Sadly his last book. In fact I didn't enjoy it, which is a shame because I've enjoyed most of his other books.
Just started 'The Man in the High Castle' - Philip K Dick , on recommendation from someone on here. So far so good.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Europe in Autumn/Europe at Midnight by Dave Hutchinson (both costing peanuts on Kindle).

Utterly brilliant and quirky espionage-alternate world-thriller with some very mild SF thrown into the mix.

....Midnight is the second book but is complementary rather than a sequel although it does oddly interconnect.

A fascinating brace of books with a third to come.

I really enjoyed the first one. The second one not so much. AS for 'mild SF' - AFAIAC they are very much SF, and Europe in Autumn won the Arthur C. Clarke award last year. There's nothing to be ashamed of in enjoying science fiction... :smile:

clid61

Veteran
H, about Christiane F in the late 70s , read it as a young teenager living in Munich at the time , decided to read again after 40 years , very eyeopening

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Sighing as I looked out the window just now, a long-remembered Bill Bryson quote about a journey at the end of a long English summer returned yet again:

“Sometimes it rained, but mostly it was just dull, a land without shadows. It was like living inside Tupperware.”

Europe in Autumn/Europe at Midnight by Dave Hutchinson (both costing peanuts on Kindle).

Utterly brilliant and quirky espionage-alternate world-thriller with some very mild SF thrown into the mix.

....Midnight is the second book but is complementary rather than a sequel although it does oddly interconnect.

A fascinating brace of books with a third to come.

Just downloaded this onto my Kindle on your recommendation.

While on the book's page on Amazon I was also tempted by 'The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet' from the 'Customers who bought this also bought...' section, and so downloaded that as well.

Amazon are so good at cross-selling.

:blink:

Graham

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Back to the Sharpe series, with Sharpe's Seige on the nook e-reader.

On the kindle app, Christophe Bassons' "A Clean Break" - some impressively florid language so far, I assume from a faithful translation of the original French.

Lastly, in physical book form for once, "Following On", by Emma John. This book is so enjoyable that I've read 67 pages in one sitting, and covers the unlikely obsession of one teenage girl with the England cricket team of the '90s. The chapter on Phil Tuffnell is, I think, particularly good.

YahudaMoon

Über Member
Tried reading J.G. Ballard's Crash for about the fourth time, I totally don't get it and gave up after page 15 again

Currently reading George Orwells The Road to Wigan Pier that I ordered :smile: love it

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Tried reading J.G. Ballard's Crash for about the fourth time, I totally don't get it and gave up after page 15 again

You should try The Atrocity Exhibition then... the chapter called 'Why I want to f*ck Ronald Reagan' is particularly good. :whistle:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Finished Emma John's book and moved on to "Fibber in the Heat", in which Miles Jupp attempts to become a cricket correspondent by pretending that he is one. It's very funny, and seems readily available at discounters like "The Works".

Still reading Bassons' book, which is passionate and angry, although I think it suffers slightly from an over literal translation making the prose rather florid.

gbb

Legendary Member
Leviathan Wakes by James S A Corey.
Sci if...In the future, mankind has spread out into the galaxy and fragmented into rival civilisations, Earthers, Martians and Belters, those who have never felt real gravity and have evolved to suit.
It's a mix of hard bitten cop out to find a missing rich girl, a crew of ice hauliers led by an upright captain, a maniacal corporation who find an ancient doomsday weapon from another species and try to use it in almost genocidal terms to evolve humankind way beyond its current evolution.
I haven't even got to who the ancient alien civilisation are or why...but it's a really good read.so far.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Leviathan Wakes by James S A Corey.
Sci if...In the future, mankind has spread out into the galaxy and fragmented into rival civilisations, Earthers, Martians and Belters, those who have never felt real gravity and have evolved to suit.
It's a mix of hard bitten cop out to find a missing rich girl, a crew of ice hauliers led by an upright captain, a maniacal corporation who find an ancient doomsday weapon from another species and try to use it in almost genocidal terms to evolve humankind way beyond its current evolution.
I haven't even got to who the ancient alien civilisation are or why...but it's a really good read.so far.

The first book in the Expanse series, which is what the TV programme of the same name is based on.

Profpointy

Legendary Member

Currently reading George Orwells The Road to Wigan Pier that I ordered :smile: love it

Crash is decidedly odd, even by Ballard standards. I think it has brilliance, but not a comfortable read by any means.

His more "normal" books are more accessible, and perhaps more enjoyable, but still challenging in terms of ideas and pre-conceptions. Drowned World, which has the imagination and wonder, if still still in the "genre" category, but later more polished works include High Rise and Concrete Island. All three are amongst my favourite books, and are certainly my favourite Ballard books.

The recent film of High Rise is rather good too

YahudaMoon

Über Member

The recent film of High Rise is rather good too

This is too weird, I'm having a Ben Wheatley movie morning today (day off work) and just watched High Rise,

Whats more weird is Im now watching Ben Wheatleys 'Kill List' and just phoned a friend asking why some of my household contents have been used in the film as props

Back to the film, it's near the end :smile:

Last edited:
Top Bottom