What are you reading

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Yeah, Ford was too old and too slow tio speak.

Last edited:
Barry Lyndon by Thackeray. Not read any 'old stuff' for a while, and it was tough going at the start, being written in1844 it takes a while to get used to the pace and language, but after that, bingo! The Kubrick film is genius but so is the book.

Leaway2

Lycrist
One Way Ticket: Nine Lives on Two Wheels. Jonathan Vaughters. I really enjoyed this (I know, I know). From him growing up, then moving to Europe, racing and then running a bike team.

slow scot

Veteran
Tom Sharpe Wilt in Nowhere
If you like his "Wilt" novels, I suggest you try the two he wrote about the South African police. I can't remember their names, but I've never laughed as much reading any other novels. I think they were the first two novels he wrote, and he had personal experience of the bad old times well before the big changes in South Africa.

GM

Legendary Member
^ another Tom Sharpe fan here!

For the first time in my life I've downloaded an ebook, got to get with it!...Harry Redknapp's autobiography.

Smudge

Veteran
Current reading Hunting Evil by Chris Carter. Book 11 in the Robert Hunter psychological thriller series.
Really enjoyed reading this series and most of them i got for 99p each on Kindle.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
The Hard Way - by Lee Child

Is that one of the ones where Reacher rocks up to a small town, gets run out of town, goes back to the town to see what the deal is, beats up a lot of people, offs some people, shags one of the local lasses several times, then wanders off, or is it one of the not so good ones?

Reactions: C R

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I am reading The Old Devils by Kingsley Amis, which is about these retired Welsh piss-artists. It won the Booker Prize the same year The Handmaid's Tale came out.

delb0y

Legendary Member
Is that one of the ones where Reacher rocks up to a small town, gets run out of town, goes back to the town to see what the deal is, beats up a lot of people, offs some people, shags one of the local lasses several times, then wanders off, or is it one of the not so good ones?

So far, after 350 pages, he's shagged one of the locals but that's about it. Nothing much else has happened. For a while it was unputdownable, but only because Lee Child really knows the trick of ending a chapter in such a way that you have to read on. But now it's turned into a chore. Still, it was only 50p from the charity shop.

Top Bottom