What are you reading

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
A friend of mine goes to a lot of these weekend author/book fayres where they get to meet famous (and not so famous) writers. He gets lots of books before release......many of them are before proof reading.
The one I am reading at present is called 'All The Rage' by Cara Hunter. Very good.

velohomme

4th volume of Game of Thrones. At a fairly advanced age began to run out of genres. Really enjoying them.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Just finished Lieutenant Hornblower - very good.
Almost finished Hotel du Lac - ok, for women really. It won a Booker prize.
Over half way through The Count of Monte Cristo. It's massive - 119 chapters and 1050 pages.

Denis99

Über Member
Just begun “Liner Notes” by Loudon Wainwright lll yesterday.

I have always liked Loudon’s music, and this book gives a great deal of insight into the person and his music.

Well worth a read if you like Loudon Wainwright lll.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I am on the third instalment of Alan Johnson's memoirs. The long and winding road. From childhood in the west London slums around Kensal Town in the 1050's, to being a Minister in the labour government. It is very well written and a great story of how from humble beginnings he rose to the top without ever forgetting his where he came from. I can recommend these books to anyone who likes auto biographies.
The first is called --This Boy
The second is called--Please Mr Postman

Drago

Legendary Member
This weeks Flight International magazine.

perplexed

Guru
Just finished this. Really interesting, quite touching but also witty. The basic plot starts in 1922 when a Russian aristocrat is sentenced to life house arrest at the Metropole Hotel in Moscow, and it relates his relationships with a number of different friends and others he meets at the hotel.

(His sentence is pronounced in the first few pages, so it isn't a spoiler really!)

51k%2BlXZyJ6L._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

perplexed

Guru
A very good book
It's sad reading too, as it was only wrote in the 1930s

Yes. I know there was grinding poverty in so many areas, I like reading about history, but this book is still quite an eye opener. In many respects, if you didn't know, and took out a few datable bits, it could plausible be the mid-19th century.

Top Bottom