What are you reading

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
War of the Wolf by Bernard Cornwell.

The latest in the Last Kingdom series featuring Uhtred of Bebbanburgh.

Much like the Jack Reacher book I was reading previously, you know what you're going to get.
Not that that is a bad thing though, far from it in fact. Not many do a historical yarn better than Cornwell.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
War of the Wolf by Bernard Cornwell.

The latest in the Last Kingdom series featuring Uhtred of Bebbanburgh.

Much like the Jack Reacher book I was reading previously, you know what you're going to get.
Not that that is a bad thing though, far from it in fact. Not many do a historical yarn better than Cornwell.
I enjoyed Cornwell’s Sharpe books. They were a great read.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I am reading The Corner by Ed Burns and David Simon. Rather like The Wire, but concentrating on a community within a drug trafficking area. Incredible really, but a bit hard work.

Also reading The History of Tom Jones, a Foundling by Henry Fielding. This is another very long book, but I'm surprised how funny it is.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Working my way through crime fiction books with the character DCI William Lorimer by Alex Grey. They are based in and around Glasgow.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I decided to read the novel behind one of my favourite films, so picked up William Goldman's The Princess Bride ...enjoying it, but at my reading rate it'll keep me going 'til christmas.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Finished The Hobbit about 5 minutes ago and now moving on to The Lord of the Rings.

Love these books.

Hobbit is poor imo. One for the younger members of the household.

LOTR is a great piece of work - apart from the terribly tedious 'Treebeard' section.

The Silmarillion is pretty dire too imo - it reaches back to the pre-Hobbit First Age and jeez it is hard work and dreary beyond belief.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Hobbit is poor imo. One for the younger members of the household.

LOTR is a great piece of work - apart from the terribly tedious 'Treebeard' section.

The Silmarillion is pretty dire too imo - it reaches back to the pre-Hobbit First Age and jeez it is hard work and dreary beyond belief.
I’ve always enjoyed both The Hobbit and LOTR when reading them before although I agree LOTR is the better of the two. I’ve never read The Silmarillion but plan on after I finish LOTR just because.

C R

Guru
I’ve always enjoyed both The Hobbit and LOTR when reading them before although I agree LOTR is the better of the two. I’ve never read The Silmarillion but plan on after I finish LOTR just because.
I liked The Silmarillion better than The Hobbit. It was a nice read, and interesting how it puts the story of LOTR in context.

There is a reason why The Hobbit may seem childish. Tolkien initially wrote it for one of his sons.

I couldn't get on with The Hobbit either. Once you get into the "meat" of LOTR, it's a thumping good read.

I really should get back to Janny Wurts' "Wars of Light and Shadow" as I have recently bought the latest (and apparently penultimate) book in the set. I can really recommend this to anyone who likes epic fantasy.

Have just finished reading the "Empire" trilogy that she co-wrote with Ray Feist - it's set in the "Riftwar" saga, but on Kelewan rather than on Midkemia.

Top Bottom