What are you reading

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C R

Guru
Finished Artemis, the second book by Andy Weir of The Martian fame. Entertaining, but just that.

I am now trying to read The Handmaid's Tale. Really struggling to get into it.

On a Grander Scale. Christopher Wren bio. Title appears to refer to the length of the book rather than his architecture. Should be finished by Chrismas 2025 or so :reading:

perplexed

Guru
I've just finished 'The Handmaiden's Tale'. I know I'm flying in the face of general opinion, but I have to say I didn't think it was up to much. The subject matter is interesting, but I don't think it's well written and doesn't have much depth. I don't think you know much after page 200 (apart from minor detail) that you didn't know after about page 30.

I started Mary Beard's 'SPQR' last night, which I've been looking forward to.

Adam4868

Guru
Deadeye I go back to Vonnegut as a author all the time,I love his books. I also just read 'If cats disappeared from the world' which was a easy read I enjoyed it.

clid61

Veteran
Scoundrels finished first book, now on second one ,"search for hansklapp". Hilarious. Advertise on the back of Viz says it all :-)

Last edited:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Fools Gold: How Unrestrained Greed Corrupted a Dream, Shattered Global Markets and Unleashed a Catsatrophe.

By Gillian Tett and available on Kindle books.

Spell-binding read - an insiders look at the Derivatives markets.

For some time I've wanted to understand Derivatives and here we have a book which attempts to explain them as well as portraying their devastating impact on the global financial markets.

Tbh I'm still somewhat baffled by the Derivatives market - partly because I don't have a brain the size of a planet and partly because they are so arcane. Although I don't feel too bad about this as many senior bankers and even the traders who sold the products, and definitely many purchasers, didn't understand them either. This was especially the case when the computer models that formulated the risk profiles of Derivatives became so outre that they defied mortal comprehension.

Favourite quote: " (Derivatives are) ...financial hydrogen bombs, built on personal computers by twenty-six-year-olds with MBA's".

Worth a read to gain an insight into greed and the exploitation of loopholes and the ultimate collapse of a multi-trillion dollar business.

20190124_170650.jpg

Late birthday present. Looks like fun!

Top Bottom