What are you reading

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The Last Kingdom: Bernard Cornwell.
Very detailed as is his style but I'm just not bothered about taking on a long series at the moment. So this one went in the book exchange shelf at the hotel in Cyprus. So I'm digging in the box at home tonight, or will look for something second hand on Amazon.
I got an Alan Alda autobiography for a penny+postage from there last year.

At work, before starting/on meal-breaks, bought last week
Just got to the Chernobyl chapter
45238694_10215900767424357_2765446802428657664_n.jpg

At home, I picked it up yesterday morning, from a box on a ward, & made the requisite donation to Ward funds
I've only read one of his before; Dynamite Kid (his first book)
DSCF7231.JPG

Steve398

I'm into John Connolly books, a series involving Charlie Parker. An unusual mix of PI investigations, a couple of gay hitmen, two gorillas named the Fulchi brothers, and a storyline that involves the spectres of his murdered wife and daughter. It sounds weird but runs smoothly, hooking you into reading late into the night until your eyes won't focus!

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Sebastian Barry, Days Without End. The best book I've read since I can't remember when. Just astonishing writing - down to earth but sublimely poetic, all at the same time.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Joy Ellis
Crime on the Fens.
Superb crime book with another 7 in the series.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Area 51 series by Robert Doherty

Great sci-fi / conspiracy / mystery fiction series that has one story that explains and links every mystery in the world from the pyramids to Easter Island heads to indescipherable languages to the real fate of Atlantis.

Far fetched, yes. Enjoyable roller coaster of an adventure, absolutely. I love these (nine) books!

360929.jpg

After a few recent disappointing reads, I’ve returned to an old favourite.

Piece of Cake by Derek Robinson

The book follows Hornet Squadron through the Phoney War of 1939 and the Battle of Britain in 1940. I really enjoy the razor sharp wit exhibited by both the characters and the author, combined with enlightening historical accuracy about the obsolete tactics employed by Fighter Command at the time.

Highly recommended. Treat yourself. 10/10

oldwheels

Legendary Member
The Secret Diary of Henrik Groen Aged 84 1/4. Life in a Dutch Care Home. A bit depressing but the critics thought it was very funny. I wonder if they actually read it.

perplexed

Guru

Interesting book about the Danish - Prussian war, which some apparently argue set the early stirrings of WW1 in place. I can't confirm what I think to this premis, I haven't finished it yet. It was used as a basis for a foreign language drama on BBC4 a year or two back. I must confess I'd barely heard of this war until relatively recently.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I have been on a binge of Japanese crime novels. Read some classics by Seicho Matsumoto - A Quiet Place is very good indeed. Currently reading everything by Keigo Higashino. I like his 'Detective Galileo' series but his rather more weighty stand-alone novel, Under the Midnight Sun is excellent.

Top Bottom