What are you wearing on your top half in this balmy weather?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
hello, new to this riding lark. Am wearing an windproof/waterproof Altura jacket but got way too hot at times on my ride on Sat as its quite heavy.

Any suggestions on a good full zip jersey for about 50 quid that will keep me warm but also cool. Want one with a zipped pocket and 3 back pockets

adscrim

Veteran
Morning - T-Shirt, windproof gilet, arm warmers, winter gloves, baggys, hat, buff
Evening - T-Shirt, windproof gilet, baggys (although fingers are just getting cold by the time I get home)

I'm not sure what to wear in this weather either, going for a ride tomorrow, starting at 8am, but looking at the forecast it is supposed to be nice like today again. The current plan is shorts with knee warmers (they are more like 3/4 leg warmers), a long sleeved winter top with a base layer, gilet and thin windproof in case it gets nippy. Should I be ok in that?

OP
OP
MajorMantra

MajorMantra

punkypossum said:
I'm not sure what to wear in this weather either, going for a ride tomorrow, starting at 8am, but looking at the forecast it is supposed to be nice like today again. The current plan is shorts with knee warmers (they are more like 3/4 leg warmers), a long sleeved winter top with a base layer, gilet and thin windproof in case it gets nippy. Should I be ok in that?

Not sure whereabouts you are but that sounds like rather a lot for your top half. On Wednesday it was beautiful and sunny here (went up to about 14C) and I went for a ride during the day in shorts and and a short sleeved jersey. With a cold morning start I'd have wanted leg and arm warmers and/or a long sleeved top or windbreaker, but 4 separate layers seems a little excessive.

Matthew

Right, I'll ditch the base layer...the jacket would be folded up in my bag anyway, just in case it got nippy. So, top half now consisting of long sleeve jersey and gilet - or the alternative of long sleeve jersey with short sleeve underneath in case it gets proper warm, thus ditching the gilet..

(This will be a low effort ride, some of the people coming are even slower than me...)

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Mista Preston said:
Any suggestions on a good full zip jersey for about 50 quid that will keep me warm but also cool. Want one with a zipped pocket and 3 back pockets

I had one of these a while back, good quality for the money, but not full zipped;

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/dhb_Merston_Long_Sleeve_Jersey/5360038983/

Full zip version would seem to be this;
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/dhb_Rogate_Long_Sleeve_Jersey/5360031258/

Fabric is a slightly thicker, Roubaix type - good for Spring/Autumn, imo.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Downward said:
My toes were freezing today at +6 degrees. Strange as i have done -7 Degree commutes !

That's your age that is, a common problem with whippersnappers.;)

Tynan

Veteran
been cold the last few days, spec 10 at night, still on twolayers and longs and boots, plus gillet n the evening

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Blimey mate, I'd cook in any of those. Mind you, I do find Pearl Izumi kit to be most wondrous and almost worth sweating in. :smile:

10 degrees or below, I'm in a Pearl Izumi base layer (something like this) and a windproof jacket (like this).

On the bottom half, running tights (Nike ones, pre-dating the introduction of zip pockets on the butt) and loose overshorts with drawstrings (found in the back of my sockdrawer).

Without windchill on the top half, I easily keep warm enough. This combination got me through the last FNRttC, the recent snow, and a daily commute in all weathers.

If riding around with the sun up, I may lose the jacket. If riding around in the rain, I get extremely wet. Windproof is not waterproof. :biggrin:

Oh, and all bets are off if its properly sunny. Then its a selection from the spandex "jersey" drawer, and something requiring very little imagination on the bottom half.

Top Bottom