What are you wearing on your top half in this balmy weather?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MajorMantra

By balmy, I mean around 10°C give or take a bit, which is about where the temperature has been hovering of late.

I've been using a cheap windproof hi-viz jacket with a jersey underneath it, with arm warmers when it's a bit chillier, or sometimes a long sleeved base layer instead. This works ok but the jacket is not designed for cycling and is therefore a bit short. It also isn't at all breathable which can get a rather sweaty.

I've been thinking that a light windproof jacket/jersey would be most useful, something like this:

http://www.endura.co.uk/Product.aspx?dept_id=126&prod_id=233

Thoughts?

I'd like something as versatile as possible. I was all set to get a Gore Phantom but a)the small size is too big for me and they don't do an XS and b)I think perhaps it might be too warm, or would it?

Cheers,
Matthew

jayce

Either windproof jacket or long sleeve jerseys ,base layers

OP
OP
MajorMantra

MajorMantra

buggi said:
10 degrees = base layer + long sleeve jersey for me. ditch the jacket, it's too hot for that

Temperature isn't an issue, I have no trouble controlling that and the hi-vis is very thin - it's mainly just blocks the wind. It's more comfort (sweatiness) and general practicality I'm thinking about.

I guess I'm really looking for comments and suggestions about windproof jerseys and their ilk. Something like the Endura one I mentioned above costs about £50 which means I probably wouldn't be buying more than one in the immediate future. That would mean washing it very frequently which may or may not be practical.

Just mulling...:thumbsup:

Matthew

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I have been wondering this myself, as a newbie I'm only kitted out for Winter so far. I'm wearing waist shorts with baggy shorts over the top. On the upper body I've got a short sleeved merino base layer, then an old fleece and finally an Altura Night Vision jacket. I have the jacket nearly totally open with the vents open as well but it still gets pretty steamy now. But I want to stick with high viz and don't want to wear a waistcoat one. Have been looking at jerseys and seen these:-

http://www.cycleclothinguk.com/item...=Long+Sleeved+Cycling+Jerseys&ItemID=CCUK2648

What I don't want is anything too tight fitting

OP
OP
MajorMantra

MajorMantra

MacBludgeon said:
I have been wondering this myself, as a newbie I'm only kitted out for Winter so far. I'm wearing waist shorts with baggy shorts over the top. On the upper body I've got a short sleeved merino base layer, then an old fleece and finally an Altura Night Vision jacket.

Wow, I think I'd catch fire if I wore that much clothing! I had been considering the Night Vision a month or two back when it was cold but I'm not sure it'd ever be justified because it simply isn't cold enough most days. In any case I can always layer up when it is frosty. Clearly there's a big variation in people's needs though, I might have seen about 10 Night Visions today, it's certainly a favourite for commuters.

Matthew

:thumbsup: MacBludgeon melts!

Base layer - which means fancy T shirt.
Arm warmers - tucked under the arms of T shirt - to stop initial draughts
Bib longs - could wear shorts really but rusty knees are best avoided...
Short sleeve shirt.
CycleChat buff! - only around my neck - to stop initial draughts again...
Short finger gloves - too hot for full fingers or thermal kit.

The arm warmers are ditched after about 10km and, invariably the zip comes down.
Bit chilly? Speed up. Bit toasty? Slow down to 20 or so... :laugh:

gavintc

Guru
Wow, some people do wear quite a lot. I wear a helly hansen base layer shirt and a thinnish training top. I have already stopped wearing long bibs and am now into leg warmers. I do still commute in the dark, so the temp has often dropped a little from the day temps.

MacB

guys, little help here, I want to wear less but don't have any other cycling gear yet. I want some tops that don't fit like a second skin, do actually reach my size, have a bit of wind resistance on the front and are preferrably bright colours with reflectives built in.

I'm sick of finding stuff on the web only to see their biggest size, XXL, is actually what I mentally class as a medium. Maybe I need to look on US web sites.

Come on, post up some links, take pity on the fat bloke............

Tynan

Veteran
bib longs, boots, ss base and LS top is doing it fine at present, slightly warm, gillet for late night return journey

I wouldn't wear anything windproof/rain proof unless it was cold, the NV is an excellent jacket but for me it has to be proper cold before I can wear it at all

Might be the thing for the lo effort types I suppose, saw someone today in a ful length parka coat, the down to the knees length

Bodhbh

Guru
T-shirt and a gore windstopper with all the vents open atm (and mtb longs). This is okay right now but I think will get too warm in a few weeks. When I started bike communting around this time last year I just wore a t-shirt and shorts however, which was fine once going but often I didn't look much forward to first walking out the door.

soulful dog

Veteran
MacBludgeon, why don't you try something like a long sleeved baselayer, and wear it underneath one of your own t-shirts. It doesn't matter that the base layer isn't as loose as you'd like as you'll be wearing your t-shirt over the top of it anyway. You can keep wearing the night vision while it's still a bit cooler and wetter, but also look for a lighter windproof/showerproof jacket to wear. Then when it's warmer, just don't wear anything over the top of your t-shirt - and make it a bright t-shirt if you want to be seen!

I can't help with the size, but I bought the dhb Compton baselayer from Wiggle and like it (MTB/Cycling Weekly recommended) but you could try something cheaper like the dhb Runcton Technical instead....

MacB

Thanks SD, I was trying to avoid t-shirts etc as I do perspire a 'little', don't want a wet rag clinging to me half way through a commute. I might give that a try though, see how it goes....thanks....Al

Top Bottom