What are your 3 biggest cycle related purchase regrets?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
  1. A hi- viz fleece from Screwfix. Thought it would be just the thing for the commute on cold dry days. Had to buy a huge size to get one with arms that were long enough and then take in the sides to make it fit. Soon realised how unsuitable it was and also chose not to wear hi-viz either :rolleyes:
  2. A cheap cycle helmet. I don't wear a helmet except for if necessary when taking part in some organised events. It really grates that I have had to comply with wearing one or be excluded from the event! It lives in a dusty cupboard for 99.99999999999999999% of the time.
  3. Struggling for a 3rd, might have to think some more and come back to it.

postman

Legendary Member
Leg warmers,keep riding down.
Computer ,this one was reduced-a bargain.I should have Googled reviews-crap magnetic contact.It never worked.It went into the bin.
One Dare2b thermal middle layer jacket.It was a bargain,only trouble was i got one that was far too big.It would have cost more to return.

alicat

Legendary Member
Cone spanners and other tools that just encouraged me to do fettling that I didn't have the skill for at the time
Saddles that don't suit my posterior
Under saddle bags that are too small
Cheap clothing that doesn't fit and doesn't do the job

It's Christmas so I am treating myself to four items!

broady

Veteran
Pumps that weren't fit for anything other than taking up room in z draw.
Cheap clothing (although without it I might never have brought the more expensive stuff and maybe not got into cycling).
The bargain bin bits that have never been used

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
:laugh:

Tin Pot

Guru
1. Dhb bib shorts in light blue.

It's not the £10 I paid for them that gets me, it's that I'd pay someone £20 to take them away.

2. Castelli Storica Long Sleeve Jersey

It's a £60 piece of crap that was meant to be the star of my wardrobe.

3. Continental Ultra

To make gatorskins so puncture proof they had to suck the life force out of other tyres and put it into the gators. Ultras are the lifeless husk left behind.

Not getting one of those cycle chain cleaners earlier - mine is ace

Not getting a turbo earlier - watch the footy and cycle at the same time, what`s not to like?

Mini-pumps that work in the house but not when you need them on the road

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Not getting one of those cycle chain cleaners earlier - mine is ace

Not getting a turbo earlier - watch the footy and cycle at the same time, what`s not to like?

Mini-pumps that work in the house but not when you need them on the road

Sorry but using a turbo isn't cycling, it's just getting exercise. Cycling is getting outside and actually going somewhere. :tongue:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Schwalbe Marathon tyres for the hybrid - terrible things, lasted a fortnight before being replaced with something that didn't feel like cycling through treacle and that had some grip in the wet.

A Bike Hut mini pump from Halfords that was virtually useless and almost left me stranded.

Not my purchase, but not talking Mrs ND out of buying an Apollo Elyse. She liked the look of it in the shop but I had my doubts that it would be a pile of sh*te from the outset, which it was. Ridden four times and consigned to the back of the shed.

Top Bottom