What are your 3 biggest cycle related purchase regrets?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
A BSO God awful pile of shite hybrid from halfords. Weighs a ton and I hated/hate it.

A turbo trainer. Waste of money, and boring as hell

My pile o shite from Halfords was an Apollo XC26 and it was free (via my gym membership) and I still overpaid for it. It did get me riding again though and determined to save for my Defy.

Turbo, I rarely use, totally boring @welsh dragon is bob on there.

Cheap shorts

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Ah yes the Turbo trainer. Mine served to convert a road bike into a clothes hanger for only 140 pounds.

Alan O

Über Member
EBay's just the auctioneer. Still need to look at who's selling. Some good, some poor.
Indeed. In fact, eBay sellers can be among the best (and sometimes perhaps only) sources of vintage parts, and there are many reputable ones - I've got most of the parts for my last two rebuilds from eBay sellers, and the same will be true for my current one.

Alan O

Über Member
My only real purchase-related regret came when I bought my Orbit Gold Medal in the 80s. I gave away my previous Falcon bike, but as it was 250 miles from me at the time I neglected to swap saddles and keep my old worn-in Brooks B17. I came to rue that mistake many times at the end of long rides on my inferior "gel" saddle.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
An old tandem frame, bought with the idea of doing it up. It was old enough to have obsolete headset and bottom brackets, so ended up too much trouble. I can't remember what happened to it.
Mavic OpenSport rim. Yes, it was cheap.
Not actually bought, but acquired: a home-made 60t chainring for the racing tandem. My stoker told me it would be fine. We folded it in half on a hill.

MiK1138

Veteran
Specialized Sirrus X 2
Specialized crosstrail X 1
What was the problem with the Sirrus' ?, I am looking to buy a new hybrid and this is on my list

gbb

Legendary Member
Trek 7100fx. I went looking for a budget road bike and at that time they were very thin on the ground...so I compromised...grudgingly. I realised soon after I'd done the wrong thing and rarely rode it for 2 years. I still have it...well the frame and forks are about all that's left. It's a utility bike now,

Nothing much else really.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
My only real purchase-related regret came when I bought my Orbit Gold Medal in the 80s. I gave away my previous Falcon bike, but as it was 250 miles from me at the time I neglected to swap saddles and keep my old worn-in Brooks B17. I came to rue that mistake many times at the end of long rides on my inferior "gel" saddle.
I echo that but differently... I gave away a lovely old-style gel saddle with my old road bike when I only had space for one bike and bought more of a workhorse. Until that point, I had no idea how awful an ill-fitting saddle can be and spent the next few years hunting for a new saddle similar to that one which I never even looked at carefully enough to remember its name. I suspect it was a SR Contour but I'll never know!

1) sports direct cycling jacket. Boil-in-the -bag just doesn't describe it
2) A ridiculously bad hi viz gilet with a back pocket so high up you would need to be a contortionist to access it.
3)Worst of all a pair of dhb cycling shoes from wiggle which started falling apart after a few months. I lost count how many times i glued the sole back on.

Lee_M

Guru
Another one for the turbo trainer, gave it away in the end
29er MTB, should have bought a traditional sized one, never got on with it
cannondale synapse, for that money I could have got a good winter bike

Top Bottom