What are your best (and worst) holiday experiences

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Worst - Miami (and the Keys) - we timed it perfectly for Hurricane Katrina, which made things exciting. I got stabbed (mugging) and to top it all off because of the hurricane diving in the Keys was pointless.

Best - plenty of cracking ones, in the past it was all about exploring and learning, nowadays it is mainly about ensuring the kids have happy smiles.

Venod

Eh up
and stole a nun's bicycle

I hope you haven't made a habit out of such behaviour.

Most memorable holiday, 4 nights in NYC in March it was freezing, but we loved every minute from touching down watching the snow ploughs in formation clearing the runway at Newark airport to having a conversation with an old sailor from the Aircraft Carrier Intrepid, he was from Texas and had brought his wife to show him his old bunk, we just happened to be looking at the bunk as he arrived.

Motoring holidays in Ireland and Scotland stopping as and when we pleased were also very enjoyable.

Can't think of a bad holiday, we have stopped in some pretty dodgy places (especially when younger) we have had flights cancelled and had to stop extra nights but it all adds to the experience and I wouldn't call any of them bad.

I even liked Benidorm, when everybody was telling me how rubbish it was.

Last edited:

AndyRM

XOXO
Lindos first time will be my worst holiday. Flew out on 12 mth aniversary of 9/11, flight was delayed 7 hrs. Was told before we went it would be roasting, it rained for 4 or 5 days of the 7 we were there. It sounds the same as our accomodation.

To be fair, the holiday wasn't that bad, but the room was so unpleasant it is my overriding memory. Oh, and some wee guys trying to fight me in Rhodes. Nearly fell off a wall at the top of the acropolis too. Which reminds me of one of my favourite holidays...

Yosemite national park. A truly stunning place with incredible scenery and loads to do. Including hiking up the waterfall, which my dad and I did one morning. I scrambled over a rock at the summit, fell off the other side and landed not far at all from the waters edge. Would have been one hell of a way to check out but I'm glad I avoided that fate.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
I hope you haven't made a habit of of such behaviour.

Can't think of a bad holiday, we have stopped in some pretty dodgy places (especially when younger) we have had flights cancelled and had to stop extra nights but it all adds to the experience and I wouldn't call any of them bad.

I even liked Benidorm, when everybody was telling me how rubbish it was.

Similar for us..........we got caught in the floods in North Wales approx. 1973 and EVERY ITEM OF CLOTHES WAS SOAKED. I (truthfully) drove home in my underpants..........but we often laugh about it.
By coincidence we are thinking of a week in Old Benidorm in October............never been there before.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Worst - Dirty weekend in a Skeggy 'Bed & Breakfast in about 81, after breakfast oicked out into the rain til 6 'O'clock. After that debacle my holidays have all been good.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
When we were younger before having chilgren wevused to book last minute teletext holidays, with accommodation allocated on arrival. It made the whole thing a total lottery. We had some great results, only once did we get a total flee pit which was above a takeaway on the main strip of a Greek resort. It was boiling hot, no air con and an ant infestation.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Best....22yrs old and flew to Malaga with a mate, no accommodation sorted. Ended up in Torremolinos and were approached by two girls in a bar. They were selling Castlemaine XXXX to local bars and said we could stay at their palatial apartment for free if we would help shift the cases of beer.
All four of us would drink a few free cans before heading out for wild nights. I think the whole holiday with flights, drinking etc etc was about £300

Worst was a family holiday when I was about 12 to Tenby, camping. Time of the Fastnet yacht race disaster. Unbelievable storm. Frame tent buckled and started to blow away about 3am. Had to jump up, stuff everything in the car and then drive all the way home.

Venod

Eh up
When we were younger before having children we used to book last minute teletext holidays,

In the early days of the internet was it Airtours who used to have auctions? we managed to grab a holiday to Fuerteventura at a ridiculously cheap price, we didn't know whereabouts or the standard of accommodation we thought this is going to be interesting, it turned out to be a nice chalet, and a great holiday.

Why was it the worst?
NYC is one of the greatest city's on the planet imo.
Scruffy, filthy, barely met a person who wasn't rude

Won't return to Florida either, after a visit in early 2012

gbb

Legendary Member
I enjoyed our Holiday in Cape Verde, the hotel was miles from any other property. I enjoyed walking down the beach and having it to myself.
I didn't expect that aspect of our holiday. We stayed on Sal at the Riu Garopa and while the beach was moderately busy right in front of the hotel...walk a few hundred yards over a massive dune, the beach was empty, hundreds of yards of lovely sand and sea....to yourself. Then walk the other way about a mile or so, you'd be lucky to see 20 people.
That aspect was the highlight of that holiday.

gbb

Legendary Member
Colleague of mines just come back from Newquay.
Great holiday, the absolute pits for getting around and parking and he said he absolutely hemmoraged money every day. He said you'd struggle to spend any less than £100 a day if you actually wanted to do or eat anything. :whistle:

simonali

Guru
Little naff, but our honeymoon was one of my favourite holidays. Best night was staying a night in a cheap Best Western in Key Largo and finding out there was only one place we could eat that didn't involve getting back in the car.

It was a little tiki bar just along the road and we walked down there and had one of the best nights out I've ever had. Ice cold beers, great seafood, some locals jamming and playing live music (think Jack Johnson type stuff) and I helped lift a rescued turtle off a boat so it could be transferred to the turtle hospital down at Marathon. It was huge and took 6 guys to lift it.

We went back a few years later hoping to relive the experience, but the bar had either been knocked down, been blown down by a hurricane or had burnt down because all we could find were some remains about a foot high.

:sad:

Have had some other great days on hols, though. Helicopter ride over the Great Barrier Reef, horse riding in Yellowstone Park, killer whale watching off Vancouver Island in a boat smaller than some of the orcas swimming around us, hiking in the Virgin Islands...

wormo

Guru
I didn't expect that aspect of our holiday. We stayed on Sal at the Riu Garopa and while the beach was moderately busy right in front of the hotel...walk a few hundred yards over a massive dune, the beach was empty, hundreds of yards of lovely sand and sea....to yourself. Then walk the other way about a mile or so, you'd be lucky to see 20 people.
That aspect was the highlight of that holiday.

We were on Boa Vista. I love the quiet beaches. I would rather walk 2 miles down the beach as it tends to be the naturist areas.

Reactions: gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
20150807_112740.jpg

The beach at our hotel on Sal, Cape Verde. To the left would be modestly busy for a hundred yards where folk congregate by the hotel, to the right from this point on for a mile or so....nothing. Actually, I can see three people in the distance...outrageous :laugh:.
Oh and the waves...so much fun.

Top Bottom