What are your best (and worst) holiday experiences

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Worst: a dingy caravan parked by the road in on the outskirts of Seamill, near Ardrossan. No electricity, no running water. A mile and a half to get water. This was either the 80s or early 90s so there was literally nothing to do. Me and my cousin were charged with the task of going to fetch water while the adults got drunk, when we returned they accused us of just getting seawater. It later transpired that they thought this because the tank they poured our buckets into was filthy.

Best: Hiking up Mount Teide on Tenerife at 4:30am in the midst of a blizzard to catch the sunrise on the summit was a particular highlight.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
I needed transportation, I saw nun pull up across the street, she leaned her bike (Like a Mary Poppins bike, basket etc) against a house wall and entered said house. Opportunity!
Never mind heaven.........he wont even let you in hell for that!!

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Romania was unbelievably cheap.
We walked to Brasov one day, and stopped in a bar.
A local chap ordered a beer, and paid with a note worth about 10p. He got change!

Globalti

Legendary Member
In the days before email and mobile phones I fitted my mountain bike with a rack and panniers and flew with it to Malaga intending the spend a week with friends who lived in a squat in Orgiva, inland from Motril. Got there and found their place deserted. A stoned neighbour told me they had moved back to the UK a week before. Since I had bought a 1 week ticket I had to stay so got a tiny room in the hotel in the village and went out cycling on the days when I was able to get away from the toilet. On the way home I had to send a night in Torremolinos so as to catch an early flight: I don't think I've ever seen such a filthy dump, it was even worse than Blackpool.

Best was two weeks cycling and climbing in Scotland with my brother. Unforgettable.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
In the days before email and mobile phones I fitted my mountain bike with a rack and panniers and flew with it to Malaga intending the spend a week with friends who lived in a squat in Orgiva, inland from Motril. Got there and found their place deserted. A stoned neighbour told me they had moved back to the UK a week before. Since I had bought a 1 week ticket I had to stay so got a tiny room in the hotel in the village and went out cycling on the days when I was able to get away from the toilet. On the way home I had to send a night in Torremolinos so as to catch an early flight: I don't think I've ever seen such a filthy dump, it was even worse than Blackpool.

Best was two weeks cycling and climbing in Scotland with my brother. Unforgettable.
Funny how my best hol was in Torremolinos. I guess it goes to show that it's not the location that makes the holiday, it's the experiences

classic33

Leg End Member
Best, Ireland, numerous times.
Having been carried out of Midnight Mass by the local undertaker and his staff. His vehicle used in place of an ambulance to get me to hospital. He'd a first on St. Stephens Day. Visiting his "passenger" from the day before.

Spending days on the bog, down the callagh. Quiet country roads, where I'd be the only person on two wheels and pedal power. A six mile ride was enough to get me classed as mad for cycling.

Top Bottom