What are your greatest achievements since you started cycling, excluding local rides?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
A simple one really. When I met my wife to be, she told me that she cycled everywhere. This embarassed me back into cycling :whistle: as I'd become lazy and was using a car far more than necessary.
Thanks to the GLW, I now use a bike as my go to transport, as does she and the car only gets used when distance, load carrying or weather dictates otherwise. :okay:
Over the last eight years, it's average annual mileage is under 5k. :smile:

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Cycling down the most famous street in the world a couple of weeks ago:

Attachments

• 0c269710-491b-4ea5-a40b-cec555dfdd6b.jpeg
    0c269710-491b-4ea5-a40b-cec555dfdd6b.jpeg
    133.2 KB · Views: 6

GuyBoden

Guru
Another of my many awesome achievements is inenting the 46'er in 1981 when I was too lazy to fix a puncture so fitted a 24" chopper rear wheel to my 26 x 1 3/8 wheeled Raleigh Wayfarer. Over the years several MTB firms have copied my invention, although the regular death or mutilation of riders has stopped this genius idea becoming more widespread.

My fab invention was fitting a motorbike front end (wheel, forks, brakes, handlebars) to a push bike way back in 1975, so Warrington was where push bike front suspension was originally born. :laugh:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
In the late 70s a mate and I cycled from the Midlands to Bala and back, camping. To save weight we took just a flysheet instead of a whole tent.

We invented bikepacking. Sorry.

By the way, the trip was an utter disaster, it pissed down, then we got eaten by midges and I got food poisoning. I've never been camping again since.

We invented bikepacking. Sorry.

By the way, the trip was an utter disaster, it pissed down, then we got eaten by midges and I got food poisoning

And THAT, dear reader, is why this ludicrous craze will never catch on.

yello

I used to like doing broadies, as we called them back then/there - broad slides I suppose. I did some quite impressive ones. Back pedal brakes, head of steam, bike sideways and slam on the brake. Success, and judges points, on the basis of how much dust you raised, gravel displaced and trail left. Points docked for high siding or not holding on to the bike.

These days, I think my achievements are measured more by NOT doing (either voluntarily or otherwise) the above.

Top Bottom