What are your greatest achievements since you started cycling, excluding local rides?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Punkawallah

Über Member
‘Tour of the moors’? Darlington-Saltburn-Scarborough-York-Darlington over four days around the North Yorks Moors National Park. It’s certainly the longest, anyway. Meant to be Paris to London, but the bloody train will only take folding bikes atm. Bit lumpy around Skelton, the Cinder Track from Whitby is entertaining, the Yorks Wolds is a whole lot of empty, the York-Darlington leg is a delight.

Losing weight, a lot... I have lost nearly 12 stone being on the bike

Hence your forum name?!? Have you been regraded from Cruiser to Lifeboat?

(well done - that's amazing.)

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
You don’t stop cycling because you grow old, you grow old because you stop cycling.

Drago

Legendary Member
Another of my many awesome achievements is inenting the 46'er in 1981 when I was too lazy to fix a puncture so fitted a 24" chopper rear wheel to my 26 x 1 3/8 wheeled Raleigh Wayfarer. Over the years several MTB firms have copied my invention, although the regular death or mutilation of riders has stopped this genius idea becoming more widespread.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I couldn't name a 'greatest'. But it was lovely that, when I posted a 70 mile ride for my 70th and invited folks to join me for all or some of it, I ended up with a substantial peloton of friends from far & wide. Special mention to A, who did part of the route but more than 70 in total with his ride from & to home - and that after a triple-bypass.

iandg

Legendary Member
My first 100 miler at age of 12, Hebridean way in 16 hours, Super Randonneur series of solo GPS DIY rides on Lewis/Harris, Snow Roads 300km, my first 300km ride on Lewis/Harris (which I organised as an event a few years later), GHS 10 champion in 1976 - all great at the time. Not sure what my greatest achievement is? Maybe it's still cycling regularly at 62 (50 years after I first joined a club) even though I'm suffering with polymyalgia.

Top Bottom