What are your greatest achievements since you started cycling, excluding local rides?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I was chuffed when I rode up Ditchling Beacon for the first time without stopping towards the end of a night ride. It was six months after a double heart by-pass op. Simon followed me, probably expecting me to drop dead in the process. I certainly felt that I might.

I remember it well 👍

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Probably getting back on my bike (including buying a full suspension MTB) after getting knocked off my bike, and receiving a rather nasty broken spine that left me on my back for over 6 1/2 weeks then off work for 7 months. Got back on the bike after 3 months of escaping hospital. Still get bother from it (the back) 7 1/2 years later.

Last edited:

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I have only been cycling for about 4 years. Back then my wife took me for a ride to a reservoir to the south of Birmingham. To get there, there is a 0.89km, 3% hill. I thought I was going to die!
We did a lap of the reservoir and came home - I refused to go any further.
4 years later Strava tells me I have cycled up that hill 113 times.

I'm quite geeky with lists and numbers and going up hills became my favourite thing to do. When lock down came along I joined Wahoo RGT and recreated all 100 of the Greatest Cycling Climbs of Britain, according to Simon Warren, and did them all (virtually) over the space of 6 months. So I guess that's a thing.

I've also been trying to tick the real life ones off as well, as well as the regional variations in the full book collection. Not sure which is my greatest achievement so far. Quite possibly The Cowlyd, pictured below (gets 11/10 difficulty rating), or maybe just sticking with it after my first ride. Hoping my greatest achievements are in front of me...

View attachment 693469

That looks *amazing*. Have added to bucket list!

ExBrit

Über Member
veer off my meticulously planned (and laminated!) route to visit a forest. It taught me that a route was no more than a line on a map.

Riding a double-century with an old buddy and we were within sight of Morro rock. It wasn't on the route, but my mate said we've ridden 100 miles to get here, may as well go visit. What an epiphany! I suddenly saw endurance riding from a whole new perspective.

Morro_Rock_1.jpg

roubaixtuesday

Riding a double-century with an old buddy and we were within sight of Morro rock. It wasn't on the route, but my mate said we've ridden 100 miles to get here, may as well go visit. What an epiphany! I suddenly saw endurance riding from a whole new perspective.

View attachment 693541

Very happy memories of Morro Bay, drove there jet lagged from LA and couldn't believe it was real, with otters in the water and an osprey dismembering a fish atop a lamp post. Wondered if I was hallucinating at the time!

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill
That looks *amazing*. Have added to bucket list!

It's bonkers, especially the hairpin section. Descent is "interesting" as it's a dead end road. There are three other classics on the same Valley, and also Sychnant Pass and Nebo Rd are nearby as well
Cowlyd is the northerly one heading out of Trefiw
Screenshot_20230606-220506_Cycling Climbs of Wales.jpg

roubaixtuesday

It's bonkers, especially the hairpin section. Descent is "interesting" as it's a dead end road. There are three other classics on the same Valley, and also Sychnant Pass and Nebo Rd are nearby as well
Cowlyd is the northerly one heading out of Trefiw
View attachment 693543

Excellent! I did a ride up from Conwy to Stwylan and Dinorwig dead end roads a couple of years ago...

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/your-ride-today.173254/post-6522476

...but hadn't twigged the others. I can feel a plan coming on!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Very happy memories of Morro Bay, drove there jet lagged from LA and couldn't believe it was real, with otters in the water and an osprey dismembering a fish atop a lamp post. Wondered if I was hallucinating at the time!

Drove from the other way, from SF. Morro Bay, lovely place...with a big feck off powerstation not in any of the pictures 😄

Top Bottom