What are your greatest achievements since you started cycling, excluding local rides?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Mt Snowdon just before my 63rd birthday.

On your Brompton?

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Nothing really spectacular.
I reckon I have cycled on nearly every road in Scotland since about 1952 which includes all the west and north islands with roads. Mostly on my own but the early ones with a school pal when we had no money to spare and dossed in some strange places.
This done on a variety of bikes, mostly camping but latterly day runs from my motorhome using mainly a Brompton.
Not really covered all of the area from Dundee up as far as Stonehaven near the coast and I doubt I ever will.

Last edited:
Nothing really spectacular.
I reckon I have cycled on nearly every road in Scotland since about 1955 which includes all the west and north islands with roads. Mostly on my own but the early ones with a school pal when we had no money to spare and dossed in some strange places.
This done on a variety of bikes, mostly camping but latterly day runs from my motorhome using mainly a Brompton.
Not really covered all of the area from Dundee up as far as Stonehaven near the coast and I doubt I ever will.

How about this one:
https://www.google.com/maps/@55.069...pitch=0&thumbfov=100!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

presta

Guru
My last tour in August 2011.

I went from Essex - Peak District - South Pennines- Yorkshire Dales - Lake District - North Pennines - Scottish border, then back via N/Penn - Yorks - S/Penn - Peak - Essex, and at 1400m, it was the longest and best tour I ever did. And in restrospect it's more of an achievement than it appeared at the time.

I didn't know I'd gone down with AF a year earlier, and in January 2011 decades of overtraining finally caught up with me, and my health crashed, so I'd spent most of summer 2011 unable to cycle much at all, and set off very apprehensively. Then on the second day, I developed problems with bowel cramps and irregular movements and started wondering if I'd got bowel cancer.

However, it seems that I'd gained more from the rest in terms of fatigue reduction than I'd lost in terms of fitness, so I was putting in quite respectable daily mileages, but pedalling along wondering if it would still be possible to cycle with a colostomy bag, or whether the ride would be my swansong. I think the feeling it was going to be my last made me appreciate everything more.

It turned out that I did have a bowel tumour, and the ride was my swansong, but it was the overtraining and not the tumour that caused both the bowel problems and the end of my cycle touring.

oldwheels

Legendary Member

Probably about 20 years since I was in Dumfries but it looks familiar. We used to go to that area regularly with our camper van at that time and I had a starter motor failure once with a Sherpa Highwayman and had to spent several days there waiting on a replacement motor.

Last edited:

presta

Guru
I reckon I have cycled on nearly every road in Scotland

I'm a bit of a one for ticklists. I used to be a peak bagger in my walking days, so I was looking for something similar when I switched to cycling.

I decided to try and visit every hostel in the YHA handbook, but I wasn't quite so obsessive about it as with fellwalking. It was never going to be easy, because it's a moving target, but it did get me cycling in unfamiliar areas that I wouldn't otherwise have given a second thought to, and some of them were quite nice. (Sussex & Surrey were hillier and more attractive than I'd given them credit for.)

It was easy at the start, because nearly every one was a new tick, but as time goes on, the remaining ones get fewer and further between. I cycled 400m down to the west country once, and then when I got there none of the remaining hostels I needed to tick off had a bed available. I did over 200, but as half of those closed, and new ones opened, I never did get to a day when they were all ticked off, even temporarily.

I thought about ticking off every road in Essex as a local project, but never got around to it. I used to make an effort to use different roads when I was away touring in a familiar area though.

13 rider

Guru
Completing the 65 miles of the Etape Loch Ness in 3hrs 29mins for 330th place ( out of 4500) and getting up the climb out of Fort Augustus in under 30mins ,29mins and a bit for 285th place with a gear ratio of 39/25 . All in my 3rd year of cycling since my teenage years at the age of 51

Top Bottom