What are your greatest achievements since you started cycling, excluding local rides?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The locals were so upset when PG&E built that back in the 1950's. There's talk of demolishing it.

Good

Some bigger European Sportives have been my best achievement, its hard to say what is the greatest though:
The Marmotte,
Tour of Flanders,
Liege, Bastogne, Liege (LBL)
The Mallorca 312

Out of my mates I've got the bragging rights for Flanders and LBL as Im the only one of us to done the full events.

Although not a Sportive, I would have liked to add LEJOG to the list but although I cycled over 1000miles (7 out of 9days) including the last day to JoG, there was two days where my mates wisely forced me to get in the support car. I probably would have stubbornly ridden them (albeit slowly) but unknown to me at the time I was in the midst of Bowel Cancer.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Probably my "Godwin" 204 (plus a bit) mile ride a few years ago. Not my longest ever (not far off) but something I had long planned and, unusually for me, actually did.

All went smoothly, weather was great, suffered a bit but generally felt OK and have great memories.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
That's kinda taken the steam out of my hilarious protracted wind-up ... :sad:

I did eventually get it open. The current roads in that area are mostly unknown to me as it is over the Erskine Bridge and boot to the floor heading for either RAH in Paisley or The QE in Glasgow. The latter was know by the staff before the transformation as the Suffering G.
I worked on a farm above Port Glasgow and cycled from there on any free time and cycled home on weekends off over the Erskine Ferry so I knew the roads in that area in those days.
Things have changed a lot since then.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Three 200 mile rides, all completed on three different days, non stop London to Paris on another day, to many 100 mile rides to mention. and so many more happy days on a bike. Belgium, Holland,Spain, plus a few more.

Jameshow

Veteran
Some bigger European Sportives have been my best achievement, its hard to say what is the greatest though:
The Marmotte,
Tour of Flanders,
Liege, Bastogne, Liege (LBL)
The Mallorca 312

Out of my mates I've got the bragging rights for Flanders and LBL as Im the only one of us to done the full events.

Although not a Sportive, I would have liked to add LEJOG to the list but although I cycled over 1000miles (7 out of 9days) including the last day to JoG, there was two days where my mates wisely forced me to get in the support car. I probably would have stubbornly ridden them (albeit slowly) but unknown to me at the time I was in the midst of Bowel Cancer.

Don't worry I took two ferries!

St Ives to Liverpool liverpool to fort William!! 🤣🤣🤣🤣

(Mersey and Clyde!)

mustang1

Legendary Member
In the early 2000s, I got in my bike. It was a windy day and I tried riding but it was so windy that a guy was casually walking along at the same speed I was riding! It was most bizarre and I figured "What's the point of riding at that speed, I might as well walk!"

So I left the bike alone.

... until a couple of years later. It was Spring, the sun was out, and I was gardening. My bike was leaning against the shed and I caught a glimpse of it. Right there and then, I put down my gardening tool, got on the bike, and went for a ride of around 20 minutes. I could have gone further but I stopped myself so as to not get too tired. The following day, another ride, a bit longer and this went on daily. Then I started going out twice a day on weekends and sometimes even three or four times a day on weekends. I used to rush home from work and get straight on the bike and out I went.

And the rest is history.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Losing weight, a lot... I have lost nearly 12 stone being on the bike. Most of that on an Elephant bike, which i have formed a ridiculous attachment to. It is still the bike i use today for my getting about. That bike has changed my life. I even gave up the car. The best £300 i have ever spent, never let me down.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Losing weight, a lot... I have lost nearly 12 stone being on the bike. Most of that on an Elephant bike, which i have formed a ridiculous attachment to. It is still the bike i use today for my getting about. That bike has changed my life. I even gave up the car. The best £300 i have ever spent, never let me down.

Amazing. Well done Dave. That's a superb achievement.

Top Bottom