What are your touring plans this year?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GarminDave

Regular
I know what you mean Trikeman, last year when I did the bit from Edinburgh to South Shields the NSCR follows Sustran Route 1 which goes way inland but we decided to keep the sea on our left and grass on our right which worked out fine without have to refer to maps and GPS too regularly. I think the intention will be the same from Harwich to South Shields but this time we'll have to keep the sea on the right and grass on the left!

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
I avoid Sustrans routes wherever possible :-)

I avoid Sustrans routes wherever possible :-)
yep and the north sea cycle route is well worth avoiding both in the UK & Germany.... was not too bad in the netherlands or denmark, Sweden. Never did the Norwegian section, abandoned the UK & german sections and came across plenty of others who had started it and then given up on it because of some of its routing... nice is sections though

Alberto

Nothing set in stone for this year, yet. Have a long standing wish to cycle the western isles of Scotland from Stornoway to Barra, but an aversion to wet weather makes me a bit wary of this. An alternative plan is to cycle from my home town of Largs to our twin town of Andernos-les-Bains, near Bordeaux. If the weather doesn't dry up soon and I don't get any training miles in, then I might have to revert to the other 2 wheeler which has a 600cc engine to assist :blush:.
We're going to do this starting from Glasgow then Barra etc in Easter. April is, surprisingly, the driest month up in the Outer Hebrides!

ankaradan

Still planning the details; the idea is to fly to the UK, buy a decent touring bike to replace my ancient MTB, and whilst I'm here spend a month pottering around visiting old friends and relatives. Then when I get back here....

doog

Ryanair are doing flights to Carcassonne from my local small airport but Girona is a lot cheaper with a mountain range in the way (again). I fancy Girona then do a Raid pyreneean type thing to take in a few climbs and then an easy Velodssey up to Northern France and St Malo.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I may plot out an Abraham Lincoln Tour , since most of that is close by, and gets a lot of interest nowadays . Nice countryside. As a Circuit Court Lawyer, he covered a lot of ground on horseback. Here is his friend Judge David Davis' Manse, Clover Lawn, as restored.
Cloverlawnwebsize.jpg

Boy George

Considering a ride from Madrid to Paris during April and May. Looking for advise on routes through the Pyrennes. What about weather late April?

Marky-boy

In the middle of April im off to France riding for 3 days for the first time !!
Sailing from Newhaven over to Dieppe Thursday night then throughout Friday and Saturday travelling to Fecamp and Rouen before heading back to Dieppe Sunday evening. 12 off us, cant wait !!

Just booked flights / ferry but have changed plans due to cost of flights. We're now flying to Barcelona (BA from Heathrow) on Aug 6th, then ferry from Santander to Portsmouth on the 26th. Will roughly plan a 1000 mile'ish meandering route through Spain before we go. We had planned to start in Gibraltar but the flights would have been £400 more and that's a lot of beer/wine in Spain.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
I may plot out an Abraham Lincoln Tour , since most of that is close by, and gets a lot of interest nowadays . Nice countryside. As a Circuit Court Lawyer, he covered a lot of ground on horseback. Here is his friend Judge David Davis' Manse, Clover Lawn, as restored.
Cloverlawnwebsize.jpg

I cycled past Abs birthplace and homestead in Kentucky last summer.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I'll have to scan some of the other Lincoln site pictures.
They are on Olde Technologie.
Some even taken with an old Soviet 6x6cm SLR
of Thomas Lincoln's home near Charleston, Illinois.

Top Bottom