What are your touring plans this year?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I usually do a longish (2 to 3 week) tour every summer in Europe, as well as a week nearer home in the Spring. Family circumstances and new grandchildren make the former unlikely this year but I'm hoping to be able to get a week in N France as a bare minimum.
What have you got planned just to make me envious!

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I'm off to Prague to pick up the Elba River Trail and will cycle to Cuxhaven at the North Sea.

I'll be getting to Prague via Harwich, Hook of Holland and Amsterdam and returning via Munich, Amsterdam Hook of Holland and Harwich with stopovers in Amsterdam and Munich.

Sara_H

Guru
We were planning to do a leisurely Hadrians cycleway camping tour with our boys (age 10, 13, 16). Then our respective ex's have both chosen the same week to go on holiday with respective kids, so we were having a week in Scotland, just two of us, route unplanned!

OH pointed out last night that none of this may be possible as my recovery from my near death experience in december is quite slow and I may not be fit enough. This made me cry!

We've decided that if I'm not fit we're going to car camp in the same places anyway.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
You lucky lot - making me envious. I knew I shouldn't have started this thread!:smile:

yello

No firm plans but I'm thinking of doing Eurovision.... um, no, that's not right.... the Euro cycle path number 6 thing (as opposed to Players No 6) from the Berry Canal until I get fed up somewhere eastwards. So, yes, you can see my planning is well advanced!

I need to have a look at my 'training' (ha ha) schedule for LEL to see where such a jaunt most logically fits in.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
No firm plans but I'm thinking of doing Eurovision.... um, no, that's not right.... the Euro cycle path number 6 thing (as opposed to Players No 6) from the Berry Canal until I get fed up somewhere eastwards. So, yes, you can see my planning is well advanced!

The Eurovelo Six thingy is quite nice in most places. I've got as far as Budapest eastwards. The bit between Passau and Vienna is a tad tedious.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Since I live in the US they are very stingy with time off. Add in the fact I have 3 small kids, limited income, and cycle touring gets pushed down the list of priorities. I've contented myself with doing "mini" tours i.e. a long weekend. Unfortunately, the last tour I did was the Summer before last, and it was a disaster (cancelled and flew back early from Canada).

Since time is my enemy, I can't really have a substantial travel time to make it worth its while, so I try to do mini tours that allow me to travel from my back doorstep or are a couple of hours away (e.g. flying to Canada when I got some really cheap air tickets). Unfortunately I'm now at the point where I've cycled so much in the New England area, I'm really looking for something new.

The best thing I can think of at the minute is a long weekend in Rhode Island -in an area I've not cycled called Point Judith. The good news is that it's only a 30 minute train ride away and I can cycle to the train station in about 20 minutes or less. Other things I've entertained are the Finger Lakes and canal paths in New York State, but the problem really is I'd have to drive there which would easily take up a good half or more of the day. I'd also be willing to try Canada again near Montreal or Ottawa, but then we're getting into the issue of flight costs.

Either way, I know I'll get out somehow!

Top Bottom