What are your touring plans this year?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Blummin eck! Just read the linked thread, sounds erm, scary :ohmy:

I'm getting there.....slowly.

Any physical activity is making me incredibly tired at the minute - I just about manage the dogs walk in a morning then I'm more or less done in for the day! Very frustrating! I've never had any serious illness before, it's shocked me how long its taking to recover!
sounds like a normal recovery to me (sorry its not more helpful). not to lecture - I know you know it, but just pace yourself and if you need it (and can - unsure on the kids situation) don't worry about going back to bed mid afternoon for a couple of hours rest. It helps the following day considerably. I know I have been that bad I could not walk 200 meters and our old GP used to think it wonderful she had 2 patients that considered a 5 miles short walk (often done after evening meal as a stroll around the nature reserve we lived on). She would joke that she didn't walk her dogs that far (we often used to meet her out walking her dogs). Now I am limited to 2 miles because of the leg and that has taken nearly a year simply to manage that once a week! the idea of being able to get back out in the mountains again anytime soon (at least mountaineering/climbing) has had to take a back seat. I'm told my injuries will probably take 2-3 years to fully heal and I will be left with balance issues & the loss of feeling permanently - can't feel around half the calf and have lost around 50% of the feeling of the inside half of the foot. cycling is OK becuase I just put my foot into the toe strap and control the lower leg from the knee & thigh - could have been much worse. I just have to keep reminding myself as we come up to the 1 year mark.
best wishes and take it easy as well.

Bikerchick

I'm going to take the ferry to Santander and ride to Nice and back in June

Im leaving for a 2 year tour on the 7th May, I will cycle from Alaska to Argentina and then across to Cape Town and make my way home through the heart of Africa and Europe. Feel free to follow the trip on:

http://www.facebook.com/TheBigCycleWorldTour2013

http://www.thebigcycle.com/
Best wishes - we set out to do something similar in Feb 2011, having sold everything we owned. Came unstuck 12 months down the line with a slight canine issue. Will be interesting to read your blog and carry on dreaming - we have similar plans to get back out to the Americas in a few years time when my leg is a touch better. Do you mind if I email your link to some friends in Canada (west coast) - I know they will offer you accommadation and any help they can give you? Exceptionally nice people and gave us loads of moral support when times got very tough.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Nowhere big/long for me. I have done North Yorks in 2009 (4 days), The Netherlands in 2010 (9 days) and Germany in 2011 (3 weeks). Now Mrs CP and Miss CP want to go somewhere, so I am resigned to sitting next to a pool in the Med somewhere for a week. I did a small 3 day tour last year with 4 work colleagues to the Thekstons Brewery in Masham, and they really enjoyed it. So I might do something similar this year - maybe to Cropton Brewery....

Bodhbh

Guru
Suddenly my plans to get the ferry to Calais, cycle up into Belgium to Ostend and get the coast tram partway back seem somewhat inadequate...
Should make for a fun weekend though.

The Belgian coast is a great weekend trip, I've done it twice and would do it again. Brugge being convieniently located at the end of a days ride (at least from Dunkirk) doesn't hurt either.

Bodhbh

Guru
Hrmm still in debt from the last long tour (which was done after a redudancy), not much hols, and after years of being my own boss now have a OH with no interest in cycling or slumming it on hols (I'm working on that!). No plans! Maybe some a long weekend or two in the UK. Have a week in Puglia in May, will look into bike hire and see if I can slip off a bit and see some of the country by bike. Otherwise, tend to visit a mate in Germany once a year and cycle at least the way there, but that's getting a little over done - again might slope off while visiting and get some day trips. But no touring :cry:

Christopher

Über Member
I have one planned but job and relationship* is a bit uncertain at the mo so it may not work out. But the plan is for a solo tour in Scotland, from Stirling westwards to Jura and back a slightly different way. Goal would be Mr Orwell's old gaff at the end of Jura - where I hear the one road on Jura gives up in the dunes - and maybe even a view of the terrifying whirlpool at the Gulf of Corryvreckan...

More likely I will end up doing weekend hostelling in the Dales, nowt wrong with that tho'!

*she can't tour but would like to, might be able to work something out with hiring a cottage somewhere and taking my bike so I can ride and meet her places. That might even be better than touring...

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
Guys guys guys...the reason you have women is so they can drive the car with all the gear from one place to the next while you ride the tour...this is in the small print of every marriage and cohabitation agreement ever written...also section 4 subsection B.2 states that they also have to have a hot meal ready for when you arrive. Fact.:whistle:

barnesy

Best wishes - we set out to do something similar in Feb 2011, having sold everything we owned. Came unstuck 12 months down the line with a slight canine issue. Will be interesting to read your blog and carry on dreaming - we have similar plans to get back out to the Americas in a few years time when my leg is a touch better. Do you mind if I email your link to some friends in Canada (west coast) - I know they will offer you accommadation and any help they can give you? Exceptionally nice people and gave us loads of moral support when times got very tough.

Hi,

I would be very grateful of any help you or friends can offer so please feel free. There is a contact section of the site if you need to get in touch, or on here.

I was actually keeping an eye on your trip. I was inspired by your journey, the whole selling up and leaving the jobs, things i never thought i could do. You got alot of nice touring in. I was also horrified by the attack and i wish you well for the recovery. Ive heard of the wild dogs in Turkey giving some bother before but i assumed they would always back down. I will have to take some precautions on my return home through Turkey.... if I survive the bears in Alaska/Canada

Bikerchick

Guys guys guys...the reason you have women is so they can drive the car with all the gear from one place to the next while you ride the tour...this is in the small print of every marriage and cohabitation agreement ever written...also section 4 subsection B.2 states that they also have to have a hot meal ready for when you arrive. Fact.:whistle:

It's not like that in our house, more the other way round. I ride the tour, he stays at home or drives the car!! Works well for us

Top Bottom