What are your worst tv ads?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
What's TV?

The word television comes from ancient Greek τῆλε (tèle), meaning "far", and Latin visio, meaning "sight". The first documented usage of the term dates back to 1900, when a Russian scientist Constantin Perskyiused it in a paper that he presented in French at the 1st International Congress of Electricity, which ran from 18 to 25 August 1900 during the International World Fair in Paris. The Anglicised version of the term is first attested in 1907, when it was still "...a theoretical system to transmit moving images over telegraph or telephone wires"

~ Wikipedia

AndyRM

XOXO
What cretin from The Halifax thought that a dodgy cartoon that appealed to 8 year old in the 1970s (roughly speaking) could possibly appeal to adults 40 years later.
It was CR@P then, it still is now.

Scrooby Doo....my arrse., same with Top Cat.

I really don't get the thinking behind using Top Cat. Going from a bin to a bigger bin makes no sense to me.

Reactions: gbb

keithmac

Guru
Worst ever by some distance was a Mercedes ad in Hong Kong where a covertous neighbour sings a song "My neighbour has a Mercedes Benz....i really need to make amends"... when they drain the swamp this ad will be right at the bottom below the single cell lifeforms and millimetres from hell.

Oh Lord won't you buy me a Mercedes-Benz, my friends all drive Porsches I must make amends..

AndyRM

XOXO
Worst ever by some distance was a Mercedes ad in Hong Kong where a covertous neighbour sings a song "My neighbour has a Mercedes Benz....i really need to make amends"... when they drain the swamp this ad will be right at the bottom below the single cell lifeforms and millimetres from hell.

Mercedes have been using this song for years, gloriously unaware of the irony.

Vaguely related, and just as inapporpriate, I was once asked to come up with artwork and copy for an internal promotion centering around the Fight Club theme. I work in a bank...

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
The word Advert is, seemingly, derived from (Ad) Treat you (vert) like a totally ignorant ferkin' daffodil...
Voiceovers get on my goat! At least make an attempt at lipsyncing!

Oh Lord won't you buy me a Mercedes-Benz, my friends all drive Porsches I must make amends..

Gah, now I can't get that damned song out of my head... :cry:

The ad that really used to get my goat was the Always one with the tagline "Have a happy period". I mean when you're achy, bloated, grumpy and have a burning desire to rip off the heads of your nearest and dearest, how, by Merlin's most sainted beard, are you supposed to be happy?!?!?! :gun:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Gah, now I can't get that damned song out of my head... :cry:

The ad that really used to get my goat was the Always one with the tagline "Have a happy period". I mean when you're achy, bloated, grumpy and have a burning desire to rip off the heads of your nearest and dearest, how, by Merlin's most sainted beard, are you supposed to be happy?!?!?! :gun:
Only Tena lady can help you with that, sorry..

mustang1

Legendary Member
I can't recall. But I do know the ones in USA have a LOT of dancing. Advertising a sofa? Get some dancers in there. Advertising a car? Bounce some dancers. Advertising a holiday destination? Break out the dancers. They love... Dancing.

I came across this YouTube channel the other day: cracked.

They make fun of adverts as if they were not telling any lies. Truly hilarious entertainment.

martint235

Dog on a bike
DFS and others flogging sofas; especially nearing Christmas/Easter when it seems your life will be gloriously enriched if you buy "now"
And why do they make it sound like a plus that they'll deliver before Xmas if I order in Sept? Before Xmas? I want it by the end of next week as I've given you the money!! No wonder there's always a sale, they make a fortune in interest.

Top Bottom