What are your worst tv ads?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
New car ads.

I was mindlessly watching a tv ad the other day and inwardly snorting at a new car ad (interestingly, I can't even recall which manufacturer it was even for!), when I realized that these ads, as far as I know, have absolutely no effect on me for at least the last quarter of a century. Further, it irks me no end how the marketers (marketing folks, or MFers as I like to call them) always show these cars being driven on vastly empty roads -whether in the countryside or some form of miraculous urban condition -with happy, attractive and apparently mindless people behind the wheel ("I'm so happy I'm driving an xxxxx car, I have reached the fulfilment of my life!")..

At least over here in the States, there is a veritable plethora of these ads, and none of them have ever made me buy a car (fyi: that's not because I can't afford one, I could if I really wanted to, but as far as I'm concerned I've got much better things to spend money on). Granted, there could be the sub conscious influence put in my mind, but after 25 years one would think it's a poor return on marketing investment, and I don't doubt I won't be buying a new car in the next 10 years either.....

So, your worst or least liked ad?

martint235

Dog on a bike
I've forgotten what it was for but it was a middle aged woman who thought her young protege fancied her but it was the way she said "I was in Ibiza. And I was dancing" that drove me up the wall.

hhmmmm. I'm never fully convinced that advertising is as direct as making you choose something over another. And those who say it has no effect, it;'s hard to be sure of that,

It's a bit more subtle than making someone buy something, it's more about brand awareness influencing what you notice when choosing. Nobody see's Fairy Liquid ads and thinks, oh that looks nice I'll buy some. Nor do they choose it at a supermarket because they suddenly remember it. However, when looking at a shelf full of washing up liquids, it's more likely to be the one your eyes rest on. It'll also help reinforce decisions such as...this one is more suited to what I need.

Cars are much bigger purchases so involve lots more active thought. But it's hard to say that nothing of the brand forms part of your decision making process even subconsciously. Even if it's how many you see around, tied in to how many other people buy because of the advertsising.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
The current Nationwide adverts. So bad that I am going to change my mortgage provider.
Are they the ones with fred flintstone and top cat buying a mortgage. As far as i am aware you have to be 18 to get a mortgage, so who is the target audience.
What a bag of shite. Who thinks up that rubbish, why would that make want to do any business with them.

Last edited:

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
There are loads of holiday ads at the moment.
Look at the airport, swimming pool and restuarant, they are all empty and stress free. Bollox.

Go anywhere during school holidays and you have to be up at 7am just to get a sun bed around the cramped swimming pool, and the restuarants are like a chimps tea party.

Are they the ones with fred flintstone and top cat buying a mortgage. As far as i am aware you have to be 18 to get a mortgage, so who is the target audience.
What a bag of shite. Who thinks up that rubbish, why would that make want to do any budiness with them.
No, they have "real people" speaking what I can only imagine they think is some form of profound poetry shite. Utter cock.

martint235

Dog on a bike
What a bag of shite. Who thinks up that rubbish, why would that make want to do any business with them.
No one under 18 will have a clue who Topcat or Fred Flintstone is. They are designed to grab the attention of the 40 something.

Top Bottom