What are your worst tv ads?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Onthedrops

Veteran
Most of the "Your £5 will help provide water for the village" and various other charity ads voiced by a concerned sounding celebrity.
Once saw a job ad for some high flying charity executive position in a newspaper. Many thousands! Call me cynical, but that's one hell of a load of 10p's in the collection jar!
Yup, I'm a grumpy old man I guess. :angry:

We get an ad for high seat chairs up here. Cue old folks home type armchairs complete with motorised function which gently raises and tilts the aged occupant serenely to their feet. This is then followed by the said chair occupant grinning insanely then strolling across the floor as if tempted by a tasty bowl of prunes! Crap! Love to see the daft old bat jettisoned outta the bloody window.

"Have you been injured and it wasn't your fault?" Sod off you parasitic group of solicitors. "I was fitting a burglar alarm and had been given the wrong ladder!!!" Call yourself a bloody tradesman if you don't know which ladder to use! Preferably one with two rails and a series of rungs generally suffices.

"Washing machines live longer with Calgon" Not up here pal, we don't have limescale in our water, wasting your time!

Anybody tell I've had a crap day at work today.

A recent one that actually made me quite cross (as opposed to just being annoying) was the VW one which had a kid being driven to school in a big four wheel drive. The message was that it was embarrassing for your kids to be seen in a hatchback/old car and you were a shite parent if you didn't buy a stupid flash motor to drive your kids the half mile to school.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
What's TV?
It's what displays the pictures from the personal video recorder ;)

I've noticed most catch up programs delete the adverts, which is nice..
It varies. If time's at a premium, it's better to pause it for fifteen minutes (assuming a one-hour show) and then use the skip button.

The Rob Brydon cruise adverts make we wanna throw up overboard without being seasick
The latest cheese here

Ah, the series where they changed the actor playing his companion for a similar-looking younger woman after one advert?

I noticed a long time ago the volume always increases when the ads come on.
Yes, so when watching live, as soon as the ads start shouting, I mute the TV, start a 4 minute timer (varies slightly by channel, but you can use 3min if unsure, then keep a watch in the corner of your eye for the station, sponsor or show caption colours) and look at something else. Often cyclechat on my phone. If they didn't engage in this dodgy practice, more people would probably leave the sound on while they looked away.

Actually it doesn't; Not sure of the exact technical term but they compress the frequency or something which makes it seem louder (just as irritating though).
I know what you mean, but "seeming louder" should be the definition of "the volume always increases" in this instance. It's a failure of regulator Ofcom that it isn't.

the worst ever tv ad has to be the Bodyform ad from from a very long time ago...Whooaa bodyform....woman singing with a very loud and very annoying voice!
I've got to say, ads for menstruation products is (are?) a good thing about advertising. I remember as a teenager my brother rolling his eyes and saying "but why do they have to advertising it?" "[It being so disgusting]", was the subtext. I had a sudden insight. My mum had started me off on belt-and-pad, and seeing pictures of this will not give you any idea awful this was**. Products today are so so much better, and I do not believe they would have spent the money on R&D if there wasn't also advertising to convince women that the new products were better.

Not saying anything about the singling ad, just "feminine protection" products in general.

Imagine wearing a bloody thong thats pulled up high by a waist band, that twists into a narrow and then sharp string as the blood dries. This off course then provides zero protection so despite wearing this appalling device you end up with stains on your underwear (always) and on your clothes (often). Luckily alternatives were already available, and I found them pretty quickly then introduce my mum to them. And the current products are much better than what was available back then. But yeah, grateful for the ads with women riding horses and swimming in white.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've got to say, ads for menstruation products is (are?) a good thing about advertising. I remember as a teenager my brother rolling his eyes and saying "but why do they have to advertising it?" "[It being so disgusting]", was the subtext. I had a sudden insight. My mum had started me off on belt-and-pad, and seeing pictures of this will not give you any idea awful this was**. Products today are so so much better, and I do not believe they would have spent the money on R&D if there wasn't also advertising to convince women that the new products were better.

Not saying anything about the singling ad, just "feminine protection" products in general.

Imagine wearing a bloody thong thats pulled up high by a waist band, that twists into a narrow and then sharp string as the blood dries. This off course then provides zero protection so despite wearing this appalling device you end up with stains on your underwear (always) and on your clothes (often). Luckily alternatives were already available, and I found them pretty quickly then introduce my mum to them. And the current products are much better than what was available back then. But yeah, grateful for the ads with women riding horses and swimming in white.
But we are not ready for red blood yet so they get aliens to donate blue blood for the demos! :laugh:

Top Bottom