what bike for a maiden London - Paris ride??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Sirrus is perfect for the London to Paris ride you describe. Stick with the bike you are comfortable and familiar with.

OP
OP
S

Sidney B

What is the level of rider support on London to Paris?

If you need to carry stuff you may want to use pannier or other bags.

Buying a £600 road bike and slapping on a carrier is daft when your commuting bike is already set up for luggage.

Hi. It’s an organised group ride, with a support van following (swanky!). So no need for any additional weight

Cheers
Sid

Shortandcrisp

Über Member
I have a Sirrus and would have no issues riding to Paris on it. Have you considered that using a drop bar bike might actually prove harder if you haven’t ridden a road bike for some time. It takes a little while to adjust to the new position. In your shoes I’d invest in some better wheels and tyres for the Sirrus and some bar ends if you don’t already have them.

OP
OP
S

Sidney B

I have a Sirrus and would have no issues riding to Paris on it. Have you considered that using a drop bar bike might actually prove harder if you haven’t ridden a road bike for some time. It takes a little while to adjust to the new position. In your shoes I’d invest in some better wheels and tyres for the Sirrus and some bar ends if you don’t already have them.

Food for thought....thank you!

Nebulous

Guru
Have you got a bit of time to get used to a new bike before your ride?

My first road bike for many years was a 2010 allez. The lowest spec new one just about hits your price point. You might want to change the tyres, but it would be another option. You'd also need to familiarise yourself with it before your ride.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Use your Sirrus if you are comfy with it

OP
OP
S

Sidney B

Have you got a bit of time to get used to a new bike before your ride?

My first road bike for many years was a 2010 allez. The lowest spec new one just about hits your price point. You might want to change the tyres, but it would be another option. You'd also need to familiarise yourself with it before your ride.

yep - ride is in July, so a fair bit of time to acclimatize.

have had my eye on this on ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2014-Giant-Defy-Composite-2-XL/303115777836

though having said that , i wonder if ebay/gumtree is a good route to go down?

vickster

Legendary Member
yep - ride is in July, so a fair bit of time to acclimatize.

have had my eye on this on ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2014-Giant-Defy-Composite-2-XL/303115777836

though having said that , i wonder if ebay/gumtree is a good route to go down?
Always ask to see the receipt or proof of ownership if spending ££ on a newish bike

Used carbon, check over v carefully

Buying used you don’t get the benefit of a manufacturer frame warranty and you may need to replace worn parts

Last edited:

nonowt

Über Member
How far is your current commute? It might be worth doing some longer rides (30 miles+) on your current bike just to see how you feel on it. A slightly ill-fitting bike may only become noticeable over distance. It will also give you a better idea what you need in a new bike. I don't have a problem with ebay (gumtree I'm a bit more suspicious about) and you can get some amazing bargains with a bit of patience. Bikes, like gym membership, are often bought and not used.

As a fellow skinny longshanks (6'6" with a 32" waist), I can recommend Lusso bib-shorts. If you email them your measurements they will make you a pair up to fit (off the shelf bibs will likely dig into places that shouldn't be dug into!). I think they charge something like 20% on top of the standard price.

OP
OP
S

Sidney B

How far is your current commute? It might be worth doing some longer rides (30 miles+) on your current bike just to see how you feel on it. A slightly ill-fitting bike may only become noticeable over distance. It will also give you a better idea what you need in a new bike. I don't have a problem with ebay (gumtree I'm a bit more suspicious about) and you can get some amazing bargains with a bit of patience. Bikes, like gym membership, are often bought and not used.

As a fellow skinny longshanks (6'6" with a 32" waist), I can recommend Lusso bib-shorts. If you email them your measurements they will make you a pair up to fit (off the shelf bibs will likely dig into places that shouldn't be dug into!). I think they charge something like 20% on top of the standard price.

This is great advice, thank you!

My commute is 11 miles each way....was tough in the first few weeks but fairly easy now. Haven’t ridden any further than that in a single ride yet.

nonowt

Über Member
Cool. If you're commuting that far regularly a 30 or even 40 mile ride shouldn't be too much of a challenge. Pace yourself, stay hydrated and take a snack or two. Banana and a flapjack would do me. Once you get a bit of fitness it's amazing how far you can get. It's often the time that will curtail a ride rather than tiredness.

Top Bottom