what bike for a maiden London - Paris ride??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alicat

Legendary Member
You could take the rack off the Sirrus just beforehand - that will make it lighter. Leave the mudguards so you will be more comfy if it rains.

In your shoes, my first priority would be to increase the length of your rides so that you can cope with the distance and be sure that your bike fits you well over extended sessions in the saddle.

adamhearn

Veteran
This is great advice, thank you!

My commute is 11 miles each way....was tough in the first few weeks but fairly easy now. Haven’t ridden any further than that in a single ride yet.
I've not read what type of event you're doing (24hr, 3 or 5 day) but you should aim to comfortably do 75% of a day's mileage without having to "prepare". London to Paris is relatively gentle (180-200 ish miles depending on route taken). If it's a multi-day event you're also going to have to be used to getting back on the bike and "doing it all again" :smile: That can be a challenge if you're tired and/or sore, the weather is pants or all of the above.

As for what bike, anything that fits and you're comfortable with. Drops have the advantage of an increased number of hand positions but bar ends can impove flat bars and will work out considerably cheaper than buying another bike because the masses say you should :smile:

OP
OP
S

Sidney B

I wanted to thank everyone who chipped in on this thread and offered advice on bikes and long-distance riding preparation.

So, I ended up going to Ash Cycles (who are excellent by the way, for anyone near the Chingford area). I had bagged a modest bonus at work, so I wanted to get something brand new, that would have warranty etc. I bought a Giant Contend SL2 Disc which I absolutely love, and they did me a nice dicount on!

Wow, what can I say in terms of riding it compared to my commuter bike. Its almost like cheating in terms of sprinting and climbing! I was a bit concerned about 28" tyres but these have been super comfortable.

The Paris trip is now 3 weeks away and Ive been building up my weekend mileage on top of my commute - biggest single ride so far was 50 miles, which felt very comfortable. Have also been getting acquainted with the joys of bib shorts, chamois cream and energy gels. So many opportunities to spend cash!

Anyway, as I said at the start...thanks again everyone :notworthy:

durianrider

Trek Emonda ALR 5 with some bike packing bags. You can ride all the way to Spain on that set up!

Get aero bars if you want more wind slicing ability. Remember that you should NEVER corner in the TT bars because your COG is way different. Practise riding them on quiet roads first to build your confidence up. :smile:

OP
OP
S

Sidney B

To bring the thread full circle, and for those who contributed and any others who might be interested (hello @uphillstruggler ^_^) I thought I'd report back on my London - Paris experience.

Setting off last Thursday from our office in Farringdon, 50 of us (split into 4 groups) went off at 15 minute intervals. We were the first group and it was such a relief to head off past the Houses of Parliament and finally get rid of that nervous energy! With a first pit stop in the beautiful surrounds of Richmond Park - i gradually started getting to know my 11 team mates.

The first major milestone was crossing the M25 and getting out into the beautiful rollling Surrey Hills. This is where the joys of having an organised support crew really kicked in, as the boys would be waiting with the van at agreed stops, loading us up with water, bananas, Haribo. A wonderful pub pitstop led to the challenge of the South Downs. This was brutal! Steep, exhilarating descents down massively shaded lanes followed by the punishing climbs. Proud to say I conquered every climb except one, where I had to jump off the bike, heart pounding. (only 3 of the 12 managed the climb)

Another milestone came as we passed Havant, and a sight of the blue seas of Pompey. We also seemed to stumble on the scene of a major crime investigation, as the seaside cycle lane teemed with the boys in blue. With remarkable forethought, we collected a pile of £2 Argos towels in Portsmouth, 'borrowed' showers in a local gym and headed off refreshed for a massive plate of carbs in Gunwharf Quay.

A billiard table sea saw us calmly traverse the Channel into Caen, and Day 2 kicked off with a gorgeous gentle roll into the Normandy countryside.

The French do roads well, it must be said. Silken tarmac, relatively uninhabited by cars......and our group shattered the French tranquility with our shouts of excitement and impromptu singing. A short summary of Day 2 - 100 miles, beautiful village stops, a rising thermometer (which saw tarmac melting in the latter part of the day), a much much need McDonalds milkshake stop which powered us through the last 15 miles of the day.

Day 3. The big day and the 70 mile roll into Paris from the wonderful small town of Evreux. Similar terrain to Day 2, wonderful scenes of patchwork fields everywhere you look, but by now my knees were feeling it!
I'll put this down to slightly ill-adjusted cleats (and in hindsight, I perhaps could have timed my purchase of brand news shoes a little better than 3 days before the trip). Nevertheless the adrenaline saw me through, and the wonderful effect of 'drafting' which I had never before experienced. By now, our group had become a tight, highly unified unit. 12 bikes, nose to tail, all a matter of inches away from the bike in front. Churning out the miles like a train. Fantastic experience!

As the temperature nudged over 30, and the sweat began to flow, the scenery became more gritty and urban. It would be churlish to denigrate the planners of this trip - hours of work had gone into the route mapping - but we did push the pedals a little harder to escape some of the more run-down areas of the Parisian suburbs, and the burnt-out cars which decorated some of the roads.

A pit-stop just outside the Palace of Versailles to bathe in a lake of Orangina and we were off. After the Palace and the glorious gardens, we met with another team at the Bois de Boulogne. Formula 1-eque spraying of Prosecco, and downing of Kronenbourg, it was time for the final procession to the Tour Eiffel

What a moment. Gliding to the famous tower, 50 of us resplendent in our matching cycle jerseys. Truly a life experience to remember. The obligatory photos, group shots, indivdual shots holding our bikes aloft like a latter day cycling gladiator.

I think in summary, as you can tell, I loved the ride. What I will say, and to bring us back to the reason I started this thread; I really feel I made the right choice buyingthe road bike. I still ride my hybrid regularly, so I can tell the difference. The roadie made things so much more easier, in particular the climbs. But more importantly, it was just massively more enjoyable...some of those group sprints were just such a pleasure!

Hope you enjoyed reading :bicycle:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Hope you enjoyed reading :bicycle:
A great write up. Glad you had a good time.
Now you've experienced riding in France maybe go back for a more unhurried look at the land of cafes and boulangeries and pattisseries! (Not to mention fromageries)

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@Sidney B well done and glad you enjoyed the experience , what's next then ?

OP
OP
S

Sidney B

Attachments

• E84CFB82-E375-4087-8A8A-7DAB03D8EDDC.jpeg
    E84CFB82-E375-4087-8A8A-7DAB03D8EDDC.jpeg
    99.5 KB · Views: 11
Top Bottom