What Bike for long distance rides?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
Ok,

I want a road bike. The budget 'was' £1000 but this has some tolerance it would seem. I plan to use it for LEL2013 so has to be more endurance than race. Comfort is an important factor for me...I can keep going forever as long as I'm comfortable lol. I also want Shimano 105 components or better...with the exception of cassettes and chains I guess.

So far I've narrowed the short list down to the following as they all seem to have relaxed geometry and are more for long distances:

2013 Specialized Roubaix Elite CF
2013 Cannondale Synapse 105 AL
2013 Giant Defy 1
2013 Trek Domane 4.3 (compact or triple)

Has anybody else had experience of some or all of the above and what was your preference and why?

I will of course arrange to see/ride all of the bikes mentioned, but right now Im open to opinions / additional suggestions...

Thanks!

Herbie

Veteran
Ok,

I want a road bike. The budget 'was' £1000 but this has some tolerance it would seem. I plan to use it for LEL2013 so has to be more endurance than race. Comfort is an important factor for me...I can keep going forever as long as I'm comfortable lol. I also want Shimano 105 components or better...with the exception of cassettes and chains I guess.

So far I've narrowed the short list down to the following as they all seem to have relaxed geometry and are more for long distances:

2013 Specialized Roubaix Elite CF
2013 Cannondale Synapse 105 AL
2013 Giant Defy 1
2013 Trek Domane 4.3 (compact or triple)

Has anybody else had experience of some or all of the above and what was your preference and why?

I will of course arrange to see/ride all of the bikes mentioned, but right now Im open to opinions / additional suggestions...

Thanks!

A good tourer for comfort

OP
OP
JoeyB

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
Hmmm, I'm not old enough for mud guards and a steel frame 'just' yet lol

Unless you can show me something that could persuade me otherwise?

Herbie

Veteran

Unless you can show me something that could persuade me otherwise?

You young whippersnappers....i ride a Dawes galaxy...people are always complimentary about it...but yes i see where your coming from...how about an Audax bike they come with mudguards but you hardly notice them

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
You might want mudguards for LEL!

If you're not completely writing off steel, the Genesis Equilibrium range might be worth a look. I know a few people who ride the Equilibrium 20 for Audax as they're supposedly very comfortable and a smooth ride.

OP
OP
JoeyB

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
Good legs are more important than a flash roadbike. :thumbsup:

There are plenty to chose from: just sort out your criteria and needs and you'll be sorted.

From your list of four bikes, I'd personally go for the Cannondale.

Any reason? I saw one today and did like it. It's easy on the wallet too!

OP
OP
JoeyB

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
You might want mudguards for LEL!

If you're not completely writing off steel, the Genesis Equilibrium range might be worth a look. I know a few people who ride the Equilibrium 20 for Audax as they're supposedly very comfortable and a smooth ride.

See I thought I'd need mudguards too but a cycling colleague of mine believes that the only reason you need them is to protect the person following you?! Otherwise a good set of waterproofs will do the job as long as coverage is complete.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
See I thought I'd need mudguards too but a cycling colleague of mine believes that the only reason you need them is to protect the person following you?! Otherwise a good set of waterproofs will do the job as long as coverage is complete.
Mudguards:
Keep spray off your feet from the front wheel
Keep some muck off your drivetrain/out of the headset
Stop any luggage/seat packs getting soaked through
Stop water getting into any rear lights you might have on the seatpost
Keep water out of you bum-cleavage!

If they are long enough they also stop anyone behind from getting a facefull of water and mud. On longer wet rides IMO they're essential if you want to be comfortable. Clip-ons will do the job, but not all of them will stop your feet getting wet etc.

Top Bottom