What Bike for long distance rides?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
JoeyB

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
Well, someone considerably heavier than you might give the frame problems, but I doubt you would. There will be flex for sure though- the vertical compliance kind. But Trek say the Domane is actually stiffer than the Madone. Trek's weight limit is 275 lbs by the way, so you're a lightweight in comparison.

275? I actually thought it was going to be more than that! but yes, I shouldn't have any problems for a while lol

I REALLY like the look of this

http://www.wheelies.co.uk/p57211/KTM-Strada-4000-3F.aspx

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
We appear to have drifted off the subject.

OP
OP
JoeyB

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
Ah I see. Yes, did go a bit OT with that one.

I think it's going to be between the Roubaix and Synapse. I guess a test ride will determine which one...

Nearly there

Veteran
When I was looking for a road bike I was clueless and thought all road bikes are the same didn't realise there are different bike styles etc,it was hours and hours of research on forums like this convinced me to get a more relaxed style of racer,so eventually I narrowed it down to the sectuer and synapse and bought the synapse.The reason I got the synapse was the price and spec was better than the sectuer.

Hmm, well im almost 30, 6ft and weight around 14.5 stone...that's weight gained/maintained in the gym, not the pub, mind. The reason I want the endurance bike is I've done rides in the past and have felt beaten up at the end. I'd love a race bike for shorter rides but I can't justify N+1 at the moment...

Not sure why anyone would think that 'race' bikes are not comfortable - of course they are. Comfort is a product of bike set-up and tyre/pressure choice, same as any other bike. Endurance is down to the rider, not the bike.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Personally, I do not see the attraction of bikes like the Synapse. The geometry is essentially a taller headtube (and SAVE seatstays, which come on the CAAD10 race bike anyway, even the Cannondale TT bike the Slice has these comfort feature seatstays)! You can acheive pretty much the same position on a race bike by flipping your stem or buying a new stem.

It is harder to go the other way, sportive bike to race, without using extreme angled stem's etc.

Cyclist33

I thought one got save fork as well with the synapse, plus a shallower seat angle, longer stays, longer wheelbase. Has anyone ridden both synapse and caad say the tiagra models so can authoritatively compare the two?

I did note that the caad 8 was markedly lighter than the synapse.

Robwiz

Regular
Tall head tubes/sportive geometry are a sop to mamils and former mountain bikers, to provide a bit of familiarity in the showroom and the salesman more options to make a sale.

Unless you have a back injury, most people will adapt and adjust to the lower riding position of a road bike after a few decent rides. Being more upright increases wind resistance, requiring more effort to pedal. As Rob3rt points out, there are ways of giving a road bike a more relaxed fit, which can be unwound as flexibility, familiarity and comfort increases.

Cyclist33

Tall head tubes/sportive geometry are a sop to mamils and former mountain bikers, to provide a bit of familiarity in the showroom and the salesman more options to make a sale.

Unless you have a back injury, most people will adapt and adjust to the lower riding position of a road bike after a few decent rides. Being more upright increases wind resistance, requiring more effort to pedal. As Rob3rt points out, there are ways of giving a road bike a more relaxed fit, which can be unwound as flexibility, familiarity and comfort increases.

Lol not sure how you could argue that a spesh roubaix has any familiarity looks wise to a mountain bike.

Top Bottom