What Bike for long distance rides?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Berties

Fast and careful!
I would try them all and go with he one that suits my build,I ride a defy advanced frame,as it suits me,the tcr was a option but a little less comfy for longer rides,and as I already commuted on a rapid ,I knew what to expect,

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
See I thought I'd need mudguards too but a cycling colleague of mine believes that the only reason you need them is to protect the person following you?! Otherwise a good set of waterproofs will do the job as long as coverage is complete.

Mudguards do make group riding more sociable, but most current guards are too short to protect the riders behind fully. The benefit is in keeping mud & water out of components on the bike, and more importantly keeping the road spray off of you in wet conditions. After a couple hours of spraying muddy water at your face and up your arse you'll appreciate what mudguards are there to do.

In the rain you get wet, but the water falling from above is a lot cleaner than the water from the road. Also after it has stopped raining the spray is still there, so you can still get very wet whereas with guards you'll not.

Mudguards are derided by many club riders, but it's more about being macho than any evaluation of the guards themselves.

Herbie

Veteran
Mudguards:
Keep spray off your feet from the front wheel
Keep some muck off your drivetrain/out of the headset
Stop any luggage/seat packs getting soaked through
Stop water getting into any rear lights you might have on the seatpost
Keep water out of you bum-cleavage!

If they are long enough they also stop anyone behind from getting a facefull of water and mud. On longer wet rides IMO they're essential if you want to be comfortable. Clip-ons will do the job, but not all of them will stop your feet getting wet etc.

Great points...all well put

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
What made you choose it?

When I brought my first road bike I chose a Secteur (which is the ali version of the roubaix). The reason for getting an Endurance road bike, rather than an Allez or CAAD type race bike was because I like the idea of a more comfortable bike that wouldnt beat me up!

I was so impressed with the secteur that I got the Roubaix for sportives and longer rides, and use the secture for regular training and commuting.

Also worth noting that Im not that thin, the position of being on a roubaix keeps my beer belly off my thighs.

From my experience if you are a bit chubby, not used to cycling, perhaps getting on a bit then an endurance road bike is worth considering Such as roubaix, or canondale Synapse.

If you are young, thin and used to doing some other sport then you might be better off with a race bike. It will feel different, maybe even wrong but you will get used to it.

Ah ok, I looked at the CAAD 10 but I think it was more setup for race? Is that right?

It is more of a racing position than a Synapse, but it is not uncomfortable (for me - 52 and not too sylph-like).

I assume most bikes with drop bars put you lower than you might find comfortable: why not try a sporty hybrid like a Cannondale Quick, Felt QX S85, or a Scott Sub/Sportster series.

OP
OP
JoeyB

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
When I brought my first road bike I chose a Secteur (which is the ali version of the roubaix). The reason for getting an Endurance road bike, rather than an Allez or CAAD type race bike was because I like the idea of a more comfortable bike that wouldnt beat me up!

I was so impressed with the secteur that I got the Roubaix for sportives and longer rides, and use the secture for regular training and commuting.

Also worth noting that Im not that thin, the position of being on a roubaix keeps my beer belly off my thighs.

From my experience if you are a bit chubby, not used to cycling, perhaps getting on a bit then an endurance road bike is worth considering Such as roubaix, or canondale Synapse.

If you are young, thin and used to doing some other sport then you might be better off with a race bike. It will feel different, maybe even wrong but you will get used to it.

Hmm, well im almost 30, 6ft and weight around 14.5 stone...that's weight gained/maintained in the gym, not the pub, mind. The reason I want the endurance bike is I've done rides in the past and have felt beaten up at the end. I'd love a race bike for shorter rides but I can't justify N+1 at the moment...

PaulSecteur

Hmm, well im almost 30, 6ft and weight around 14.5 stone...that's weight gained/maintained in the gym, not the pub, mind. The reason I want the endurance bike is I've done rides in the past and have felt beaten up at the end. I'd love a race bike for shorter rides but I can't justify N+1 at the moment...

In that case I would definatly look at the endurance road bikes... Sectuer, roubaix, synapse ( I think the Synapse has Ali and carbon versions)

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Is being heavier an issue on a carbon bike? Ie is it going to snap when I start putting the power down? lol
:laugh:
Seriously though, most bike manufacturers have weight limits, but they're high enough to cover the vast majority of riders. Cycling Plus had a feature last year on three former rugby players (Victor Ebogu was one) who were all keen riders, and they had no problems getting stuff to handle their weight & power.

OP
OP
JoeyB

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
Obviously snapping is a bit extreme, but will I notice any frame flex in the real world?

My LBS said that the Roubaix was a well built frame, much better than the quality of the Boardman in the same price bracket (not sure why they used Boardman as an example, maybe I smelt of Halfords lol)

paulw1969

Ridley rider
i'll throw a curveball in the mix and say have you considered Ridley?
I have an Eos, the geometry is not out and out race (had to have a bike like this for starters for various reasons). but more touring.....and there is room for guards:smile:

PaulSecteur

Well, Im 15 stone and I have never heard a squeak out of mine!

For no obvious reason... Here a picture of one. Nice, aint she?

specialized-roubaix-elite-sl2-2011-road-bike.jpg

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Obviously snapping is a bit extreme, but will I notice any frame flex in the real world?
Well, someone considerably heavier than you might give the frame problems, but I doubt you would. There will be flex for sure though- the vertical compliance kind. But Trek say the Domane is actually stiffer than the Madone. Trek's weight limit is 275 lbs by the way, so you're a lightweight in comparison.

OP
OP
JoeyB

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
i'll throw a curveball in the mix and say have you considered Ridley?
I have an Eos, the geometry is not out and out race (had to have a bike like this for starters for various reasons). but more touring.....and there is room for guards:smile:

I did look at a Ridley online, but I don't recall it being that model. When I remember I'll post it up lol.

Top Bottom