What Bike for long distance rides?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclist33

my input for what it's worth. when i decided to ride lel i didn't know much about bikes and internet forums. so after some research online, came to a conclusion that a suitable bike for lel would be some 531c steel racer capable to accept full mudguards (which is what i bought). there were a lot of praise for brooks saddles, so i got that as well. i managed to get around lel, but only just, and my body was aching everywhere - especially knees, achilles, lower back and arse. was it the bike's fault - no, i was simply unfit to ride such a distance, irrespective of bike.
fast forward to last summer, i rode 1200km in good comfort on an aggressive geometry race bike, and there were no aches or pains after the ride, just general fatigue, which is kinda normal. and again, it wasn't the bike that made me "comfortable" - i was much fitter last year than before lel.
now - i haven't ridden much during last three months (elbow surgery, holidays etc.) and did 200km ride last saturday on the same bike. my knees, achilles and lower back are still sore - and it's already tuesday!

so my conclusion - comfort depends on rider's fitness, and not a bike (although correctly set up bike is important).

All that really shows is that there might be any number of variables determining the aches and pains, and since you can never undertake your first scenario again in the same physical condition but with a different bike, the results of your subsequent endeavours provide circumstantial evidence only!

Such fun!

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Were I to be doing something like LEL and doing the preparatory/training rides you are planning, I would go for a proper bike fit. Personally, I went to Paul Hewitt in Leyland, nr Preston.

Based on his sizing diagram, I bought a Condor Fratello - steel frame, audax-orientated, fast day-ride/ light tourer bike. It was bought from Condor in London through phone contact and sending them the fitting diagram and has been comfortable enough when I have the right saddle. This bike is also quite popular amongst the audax fraternity.

Would I do the same again ? err ... No :blush:
  • I would buy a frame from Paul Hewitt and have it built up to spec (105/SRAM Rival)
  • he would fit me onto the bike and ensure it was exactly right :thumbsup:
  • I would be able to ride further, longer, more comfortably :bicycle:
  • I would buy a Ti frame, as they have come down in price over the last few years
... but that's just me. :thanks:

OP
OP
JoeyB

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
Ok, went into LBS just now.

I have a Specialized Roubaix Elite and a Scott CR1 Team (both 2013 models) coming in a week tomorrow for test rides. Woop Woop.

Gonna get a Garmin Edge 800 whilst I'm in there too, it's on offer for £385 or something with all the trimmings.

martint235

Dog on a bike

I have a Specialized Roubaix Elite 2013 and a Scott CR1 Team coming in a week tomorrow for test rides. Woop Woop.

Gonna get a Garmin Edge 800 whilst I'm in there too, it's on offer for £385 or something with all the trimmings.
Iirc you can't change the battery in the 800 which limits your ride to about 15 hours I think. I've got an etrex which takes standard AA batteries

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
bikey-mikey who is leading the Audax Points rankings uses an 800 with a battery extender. I prefer using my geko which runs on easily obtainable AAAs though as I can buy them en-route to save carrying extra weight :smile:

OP
OP
JoeyB

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
Base model is available for around £300, but the list price for the base model plus special maps and sensors (cadence and heart rate) is £449

I know you can get the full fat one for around £360 if you look around online but for another £20 I'd rather put it through my LBS.

Scruffmonster

Über Member
I thought one got save fork as well with the synapse, plus a shallower seat angle, longer stays, longer wheelbase. Has anyone ridden both synapse and caad say the tiagra models so can authoritatively compare the two?

I did note that the caad 8 was markedly lighter than the synapse.

I've ridden both. IMHO, the Synapse seemed to 'crash' over the rough stuff, which is the complete opposite of how it should feel. I seemed to feel every bump on the synapse, up my back primarily.

Maybe it just didn't fit me...

I bought the CAAD 10. It's the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden. I don't think I'm especially flexible, I don't race it, but it's smooth, lively, and I've never once regretted buying it.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Unless you are convinced you really want all the "fitness training" functionality of the 800 I'd look seriously at the new Etrex 20 - which will give at least as good navigation.
FWIW I'll be using an older model: an Etrex Vista HCx. Not the most slimline or lightweight of units, but has all the features I want for a long audax. Can be used with a battery extender as well (which gives the option of a permanent and very reassuring backlight at night) as well of course with the ubiquitous AA cells

PpPete

Legendary Member
Anyone mentioned the Kinesis Racelight TK as an option yet ?
I see they've just launched the TK3, so there might be some bargains to be had on older models.

vorsprung

Veteran
Unless you are convinced you really want all the "fitness training" functionality of the 800 I'd look seriously at the new Etrex 20 - which will give at least as good navigation.

I have an Etrex 20. It is supposedly ok for 24 hours or more on one set of good AAs (Lithiums or high capacity NiMh). And of course you can carry or buy more batteries. They cost 150 quid-ish new

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's

I have a Specialized Roubaix Elite and a Scott CR1 Team (both 2013 models) coming in a week tomorrow for test rides. Woop Woop.

Sounds like a solid choice, when I specced up my custom frame I did a lot of test riding and I ended up using the Spesh Roubaix and Tricross as my primary design influences...they were the best of my test rides.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Chortle. I just rang a bike shop in Oldham and said "I've £1000 bike to work voucher and I want to do an SR series, what have you got?"and a few weeks later, viola, one Surosa Toledo Audax. (to which I had to add a Brooks B17 saddle, couldn't stretch the £1000 quite that far)

Still no nearer the SR series than I was the day I took delivery but it has done its miles/hours without needless discomfort.

OP
OP
JoeyB

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
So, after I posted about the bikes I have coming in...I went back on the LBS website and noticed the Scott CR1 Pro 2012 model....that has full Ultegra groupset and is the same price as the 2013 Team model....hmm sounds like a no brainer to me! Off to the LBS again in the morning to see if they can get a 3rd bike in for me lol

Top Bottom