What Bike for long distance rides?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zigzag

Veteran
in response to Eddy's posts, yes, the frame geometry matters to some extent, but it's one of the least worries during the ride. some choose to ride pbp on vintage, shopper, brompton bikes - it depends what kind of ride they want to experience. otoh, you can have a bike tailored to perfection but without fitness, 800km in you'll be suffering like a dog..

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
there was a guy who did the transam on a uni cycle i heard....and then there was my friend who rode the length of germany on a rusty old aldi bike he found in his mates garage...

Ok if this statement is true then riding lejog on a bmx will be comfortable if your fit ! :wacko:

I don't know if it's deliberate or not, but this is the point you keep on missing. Yes you could ride it on a BMX, providing you were able to get a comfortable position on it.

U

User6179

I don't know if it's deliberate or not, but this is the point you keep on missing. Yes you could ride it on a BMX, providing you were able to get a comfortable position on it.

My point is there will be some bikes you cant get a comfortable position because the geometry will be wrong for certain people , your point is that my point is untrue, I think thats your point?

My point is there will be some bikes you cant get a comfortable position because the geometry will be wrong for certain people , your point is that my point is untrue, I think thats your point?

So you're saying 'people are different' - stop the press....

Dags11

I got it on page 1 dudette, it's only taken you six.....
It's a gold star for you fella

OP
OP
JoeyB

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
Wow, thats a lot of information to digest in such a short amount of time lol. So much so that I won't try and reply to every individual comment. I'll just summarise...

Firstly, I will be fit for purpose. I plan to do a combination of (and not limited to one) 100, 200, 300, 600km rides...I also plan to continue running (GSR and a half marathon in a few weeks time!), going to the gym and doing anything else remotely active that I can fit in. I understand the concept that endurance comes from me, not the bike etc.

As for what I plan to do after LEL (apart from walking like a penguin for a week)... I will probably go out for weekend blats with friends, of anything upto 100km at a time really, i only live 2 miles from my office so not worth the commute.

Is there some magic all rounder? I guess what I'm saying is I dont want an out and out twitchy race bike...but it dont want some sloppy lethargic road bike either. Would the bikes mentioned way back in my first post meet this 'middle ground' requirement? I'm thinking 25mm tyres will be my first choice based on what has been said so far.

Oh, and if mudguards are going to help then i dont mind some clip on jobbies. I'll probably settle for a saddle bag rather than full panniers.

U

User6179

I have been eyeing this bike up myself , maybe next year.
orange.jpg

Top Bottom