What Bike for long distance rides?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Define 'long distance'. The world RR champ was run off over 260km / 6+ hours on Sunday - and I don't think any of them were on 'comfort' bikes. A young lad I know rode 270 miles in 12 hours on a PX low pro TT frame. Comfortable bikes require fitting - they can't be bought off the shelf.

they weren't on them, because they don't exist. keep up. People use terms like 'jedi' to make a point sometimes too, but I'm pretty sure they don't exist either...
Eh? I think you may have been hoist by your own petard there !:thumbsup:

Eh? I think you may have been hoist by your own petard there !:thumbsup:

er, nope - you're going to have to explain that one, sorry....

I think the clue is in the original post.

The clue is definitely in the original post. The point is that if you can be comfortable on a bike for 6 hours, then there's a safe bet you may be comfortable on it for a wee bit longer....

martint235

Dog on a bike
Just because someone rides 270 miles on a TT bike doesn't mean they were comfortable. Same for the WC RR, those guys are paid to go fast not be comfortable. Sure comfort comes into it a bit because they need to be able to complete the distance but it's more about speed. Ask them to do it again on a similarly specced steel bike and ask if it was more comfortable.

I can say for sure that both my Giant and my Ti bike fit me. However the Ti bike is far more comfortable over longer distances (100 miles plus). And before someone mentions tyres etc, the Giant has 25mm at 110psi on and the Ti has 23mm at 145psi.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
er, nope - you're going to have to explain that one, sorry....

Define 'long distance'. The world RR champ was run off over 260km / 6+ hours on Sunday - and I don't think any of them were on 'comfort' bikes.

Well, if comfort bikes don't exist then your above quote is meaningless.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I think this comes down to how much comfort you require. Race bikes are comfortable over long distances, but other bikes may be more comfortable, for various reasons.

It is a compromise between how much comfort you want, vs other factors. But because there are more comfortable bikes out there, doesn't mean race bikes are uncomfortable and a race geometry road bike may be absolutely fine for the OP and may prove to be the best choice for subsequent use following this event. Or it may not, depending on the degree of comfort he wants vs other priorities and future plans etc.

U

User6179

Ok,

I want a road bike. The budget 'was' £1000 but this has some tolerance it would seem. I plan to use it for LEL2013 so has to be more endurance than race. Comfort is an important factor for me...I can keep going forever as long as I'm comfortable lol. I also want Shimano 105 components or better...with the exception of cassettes and chains I guess.

So far I've narrowed the short list down to the following as they all seem to have relaxed geometry and are more for long distances:

2013 Specialized Roubaix Elite CF
2013 Cannondale Synapse 105 AL
2013 Giant Defy 1
2013 Trek Domane 4.3 (compact or triple)

Has anybody else had experience of some or all of the above and what was your preference and why?

I will of course arrange to see/ride all of the bikes mentioned, but right now Im open to opinions / additional suggestions...

Thanks!

I would say all these bikes are good starting points for what your looking for ( a more upright position ) but comfort will come from a good fitting seat ,well padded bars and gloves , good fitting shoes and tyre width/pressure .

If I am buying a bike I will ask for the bike to be fitted with 25s instead of 23s sized tyres as I find the 23s need to be pumped up so hard to avoid pinch puntures that the ride becomes to harsh .

Like yourself i can cycle all day as long as im comfortable and I find bikes with longer head tubes are more comfortable than bikes with shorter ones .

Just because someone rides 270 miles on a TT bike doesn't mean they were comfortable. Same for the WC RR, those guys are paid to go fast not be comfortable. Sure comfort comes into it a bit because they need to be able to complete the distance but it's more about speed. Ask them to do it again on a similarly specced steel bike and ask if it was more comfortable.

You've just made the point. Of course comfort is relative, but they were comfortable enough to be able to do the job. Nobody is suggesting welding a leather armchair to the top tube...

I can say for sure that both my Giant and my Ti bike fit me. However the Ti bike is far more comfortable over longer distances (100 miles plus). And before someone mentions tyres etc, the Giant has 25mm at 110psi on and the Ti has 23mm at 145psi.

those tyre pressures - do you weight like 20 stone or something..?

For what it's worth, I've done long rides on steel, aluminium, titanium and carbon fibre bikes. All have been comfortable, because I have a 'comfortable' (that word again) riding position. Frame material? - ironically, I'm probably most comfortable on my S-Works Tarmac - there's irony for you....

martint235

Dog on a bike
You've just made the point. Of course comfort is relative, but they were comfortable enough to be able to do the job. Nobody is suggesting welding a leather armchair to the top tube...

But the OP doesn't want to do a job. He wants to ride LEL and survive. It's going to take a lot of trial and error on their part to find the right bike. For example they may ride the CAAD and think "ooh this is comfy" and then get on the Spesh and think "ooh this is comfier"

No those tyre pressures are what suits me for the distances I ride, the limits of the tyre and the frames they are attached to. 145 psi on the Giant would shake me to death.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
What does he want to do after LEL? That is as big a factor as any IMO.

U

User6179

For what it's worth, I've done long rides on steel, aluminium, titanium and carbon fibre bikes. All have been comfortable, because I have a 'comfortable' (that word again) riding position. Frame material? - ironically, I'm probably most comfortable on my S-Works Tarmac - there's irony for you....

Are you telling us you own a "comfort bike" ?^_^

martint235

Dog on a bike
What does he want to do after LEL? That is as big a factor as any IMO.
Probably not go near a bike for a very long time!! ^_^

Seriously, that's a good point. For my part, Lelly has been bought specifically for LEL but it also suits my riding as most rides I do are over 100 miles. (not counting commuting obviously)

U

User6179

they weren't on them, because they don't exist. keep up. People use terms like 'jedi' to make a point sometimes too, but I'm pretty sure they don't exist either...

Yes but people dont say they have seen a jedi after previously saying they dont exist, that dosent make sense !

U

User6179

I think this comes down to how much comfort you require. Race bikes are comfortable over long distances, but other bikes may be more comfortable, for various reasons.

It is a compromise between how much comfort you want, vs other factors. But because there are more comfortable bikes out there, doesn't mean race bikes are uncomfortable and a race geometry road bike may be absolutely fine for the OP and may prove to be the best choice for subsequent use following this event. Or it may not, depending on the degree of comfort he wants vs other priorities and future plans etc.

Can we all agree on this?:thumbsup:

vorsprung

Veteran
Define 'long distance'. The world RR champ was run off over 260km / 6+ hours on ..

The OP was talking about 1400km with a 116 hours and 40 minute time limit. That's what is being referred to.

Obviously you can ride any distance on any bike but it is easier and more pleasant to ride long distances at a steady pace on a bike other than a full on racing road bike or a shopper or a BMX.

Top Bottom